Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys. I recently bought a Selmer metal E for my soprano sax (YSS 475) and for my having had dozens of mouthpieces including valuable pieces (one of an all Guardala BM HM....) I finally found a sound that satisfies me fully! I play my tenor with two mouthpieces, Guardala Studio for 'loud' context and Vandoren V16 for 'soft' context. I want to place side by side a hard rubber mouthpiece to my Selmer metal mouthpiece. I originally I thought about the Soloist but it is a mouthpiece difficult to find and very expensive. Now I would like to buy a Supersession ... you think that will be a right choice? I do not know how to play the supersession, any of you have tried it and could compare it with the Selmer metal? The supersession has the same or similar design features to the Selmer metal?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,982 Posts
I finally found a sound that satisfies me fully!
Then why bother with more mouthpieces? I use a Metal Classic (G) on my VI soprano and a Super Session (J) on my True Tone. It's just a matter of preference for each particular horn. If you're happy with the metal one, I'd get off the mouthpiece merry-go-round, and get used to one mouthpiece for both hard and soft applications for your soprano. A soprano ain't a tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
The tenor Supper Session has a round chamber like the Selmer mouthpieces of the 50's so it's going to depend on what sound you are looking for on your tenor. You might want to try the Selmer metal (either/both models) for tenor.

Or am I misunderstanding you as far as what mouthpiece and for which horns?

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
The Super Session is not as small and compact a sound as the metal Selmer. It is, in general, slightly broader.
On the same horn with the same reed, the Super Session will likely have a bit less resistance.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or am I misunderstanding you as far as what mouthpiece and for which horns?
The question relates to the soprano sax .... sorry, actually it's my fault, I wrote my first post in an ambiguous way!

I wanted to say that the I have two mouthpieces on the tenor, the Studio for a bright and powerful sound and the V16 for a darker sound and soft. I would do the same thing on soprano, I want to place side by side to my Selmer Metal a mouthpiece similar-sounding but a little more soft and warm.

If it can be useful, here are some pictures of my metal Selmer

http://img825.imageshack.us/i/dsc03078y.jpg/
http://img80.imageshack.us/i/dsc03080s.jpg/
http://img695.imageshack.us/i/dsc03081j.jpg/
http://img208.imageshack.us/i/dsc03082k.jpg/
http://img208.imageshack.us/i/dsc03082k.jpg/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
Following comments are related to Alto.
On alto I find the SS and V16 quite similar. The SS seems a little more spread. Certainly it is compared to a metal classic (alto)

FWIW I play a DG Studio and a V16 (HR) on Tenor as well:)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for Grumps: I want such a hard rubber mouthpieces because I play in different contexts, in big bands with my Selmer Metal my sound is too bright and powerful, I would understand if the supersession could have the similar sonority but a little softer so that I may have, big band, a homogeneous sound with the other elements.

For Joe Giardullo: Thanks Joe, I know you're a guru of soprano sax and your impressions are very important for me! I would also understand if the Supersession has the same measurements (facing curves, chamber, etc.) of the Selmer metal. For the resistance there is no problem! if I have problems I send the mouthpiece to my refacer and I do the right works

For Canadian: Eh ... I have tried almost all Guardala models but found them harmonically 'planted'. I found the Studio definitely the best! same for the V16, I tried many Ottolink (even some very expensive vintage) but I found them all 'smoky' in the low register and 'plugged' in general ... The V16 sounds dark and 'live' throughout the register! for the series 'little cost, great performance! .. but now we are offtopic!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,982 Posts
for Grumps: I want such a hard rubber mouthpieces because I play in different contexts, in big bands with my Selmer Metal my sound is too bright and powerful, I would understand if the supersession could have the similar sonority but a little softer so that I may have, big band, a homogeneous sound with the other elements.
Don't confuse material with sound. The hard rubber soprano Super Session is a way brighter mouthpiece than the Metal Classic.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts
Don't confuse material with sound. The hard rubber soprano Super Session is a way brighter mouthpiece than the Metal Classic.
Selvac, Grumps is right, if you think your Selmer metal soprano is "too bright and powerful" all I can recommend is you try a Caravan or Rascher.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
The Super Session and metlas are a lot different. I think the SS is also a bit longer in the facing. Although bright, I found the SS to be very big sounding and a nice mouthpiece (I had an E), I still prefer the Yamaha on soprano but the SS is a great strong piece.

·
Banned
3,665 Posts
Hi Salvac

The metal Selmer is physically smaller than the Super Session. That alone will change the shape of your mouth and of the air column going into the piece and, coupled with the very small throat of the metal Selmer, produce a tighter sound and a faster airstream in general, which really pushes the higher partials out front. When you speak about "powerful", that translates into very focused and tight to me, regarding metal Selmer pieces.

The Super Session is slightly less of all those things, in general- broader, rounder maybe, definitely bigger overall, still quite focused and still producing a fast column but the shape of the piece tends to widen the airstream a little going into the mouthpiece, in my experience. That tends to bring out more of the mid-range partials, and that "broadens" the sound.

I tend to think about the metal piece as tending to be more trumpet-like. The Super Session tends to be a bit more saxophone-like in sound and response, to my ear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts