Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a vintage Selmer metal E soprano mouthpiece
When i look at all the charts, i see 53, let two people have now told me that this E is a 70????

Can anyone shed some light?
Is this E different from the Super Session E at 53?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
John: I suppose anything is possible, especially if someone had that metal E opened up. Selmer's most open soprano piece is the J (Selmer lists a J opening to be .069 but when Joe Giardullo measured one of my stock J Super Sessions, he said it was .070 - one-thousandths seems pretty small to me AND subject to interpretation). And they no longer list a J soprano piece in their literature, as far as I know.

I have an older scroll-shank C* that is similar to an S-80 C* in my box, so I am assuming (I know, I know) that Selmer's indicators have been consistent over the years and that a stock E, regardless of the design or material, is close to what Selmer lists on their charts.

If you can't measure it yourself (and I sure can't), I suppose one way to evaluate it would be to play it. A .070 is not going to play like a .053 mouthpiece. I would take those .070 claims to be incorrect unless proved otherwise. DAVE

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John: I suppose anything is possible, especially if someone had that metal E opened up. Selmer's most open soprano piece is the J (Selmer lists a J opening to be .069 but when Joe Giardullo measured one of my stock J Super Sessions, he said it was .070 - one-thousandths seems pretty small to me AND subject to interpretation). And they no longer list a J soprano piece in their literature, as far as I know.

I have an older scroll-shank C* that is similar to an S-80 C* in my box, so I am assuming (I know, I know) that Selmer's indicators have been consistent over the years and that a stock E, regardless of the design or material, is close to what Selmer lists on their charts.

If you can't measure it yourself (and I sure can't), I suppose one way to evaluate it would be to play it. A .070 is not going to play like a .053 mouthpiece. I would take those .070 claims to be incorrect unless proved otherwise. DAVE
Yes the question is not about possible refacing, just stock specs.
To me it plays like a 53, my Bari is a 66 and I can def tell the difference.
Just the “70” believers were very reputable.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I have a vintage Selmer metal E soprano mouthpiece
When i look at all the charts, i see 53, let two people have now told me that this E is a 70????
Can anyone shed some light?
Is this E different from the Super Session E at 53?
According to a number of authoritative sources, the Selmer 'E' facing is .054" or 1.37mm. This information is extremely easy to get hold of nowadays from such sites as Theo Wanne's.
But since Selmer's quality control has been quite random over the years, in reality something marked 'E' could measure differently. But a .070" facing is ostensibly nearer a Selmer 'K'.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts