Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Selmer metal classic in an E facing. It has a beautiful tone, but low end response is a little iffy, and my beloved Fibracells don't want to play nicely with the piece. I've had okay luck with Legeres, and the best experience came from Forestone Black Bamboos, but as I noted in another thread they don't play for very long before going limp. Granted, all my reeds have been used on other pieces and are probably adjusted to those, so I should probably pick up some new reeds for this mouthpiece.

So I decided to measure the facing. Assuming my measuring is accurate (no guarantees), a .0015" gauge falls dead even at 20 mm! The Selmer specs say it should be 24 mm. I've had good luck with other short facings, but nothing as short as this.

My question: Does Selmer list the facing length starting from a .0015" gauge, or from the actual start of the curve?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sadly, no. It looks shiny and new. I say sadly because in this condition it seems almost sinful to consider sending it off for facing work. I don't know if it was NOS or what, but it's gorgeous. Selmer only lists the tenor as coming in C**, so have they discontinued other facings? Phasing them out?

Here are my other measurements if anybody is interested. Other than the .005" feeler everything else was even. Table looks perfectly flat. All feelers over .035" were stacked, so there's definitely room for error. I can measure, but I don't quite understand how the numbers translate to playability, so any insight would be appreciated.

Feeler gauge/distance from tip in mm
.0015”/20
.005”/16.5 R/17 L
.010”/14.25
.017”/12
.026”/9
.037”/6.75
.049”/4.5
.063”/3
.078”/1.5
.083”/tip

·
Registered
8,979 Posts
I just picked up a Selmer metal classic in an E facing....
So I decided to measure the facing. Assuming my measuring is accurate (no guarantees), a .0015" gauge falls dead even at 20 mm! The Selmer specs say it should be 24 mm. I've had good luck with other short facings, but nothing as short as this.

My question: Does Selmer list the facing length starting from a .0015" gauge, or from the actual start of the curve?
I think any published specs I have seen match up better to facing lengths starting at the table tangent (.0000” imaginary feeler). Also tip openings measured at the very tip vs inside the tip rail.

But if you measured at 20mm, you probably won’t match 24mm as the start of the curve either. Probably something like 22.5 or so. Sellers vary like most mouthpieces.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts