Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could anyone tell me a little more about this horn? Is it worth spending $1800 for? How does it differ from the VI, and what sort of tone does it produce? Thanks, I'm really looking at getting one of these as my first Pro horn, but I'm on a budget and cannot afford a VI!

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,661 Posts
I really like the early MK VII. They play really Big and nice and Dark! The only thing I don't like us that the ethos are a little clunky and heavy for me, but I would say go for it as long as it doesn't need an overhaul. You can go to a sax shop and get one set up for $2400 - $3000.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,440 Posts
Is this MKVII an alto or tenor? Do you have access to it or are you asking in more general terms . . . like, if you should seek one out to buy?

I own a VI and my oldest daughter has a VII which I gave her new when she was in high school, both altos. Her VII plays great (been overhauled once) and sounds just like an alto saxophone. Compared to my VI, they are similar in sound and feel, although I'm not one to get all worked up over ergonomics. There may be some Selmer experts who could give more info about design differences. DAVE

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,661 Posts
Good question Dave. I assumed it was a tenor which I shouldn't have done. If it is a tenor it's a good deal. Alto I would try for $1500 in really good condition.

·
Registered
17 Posts
My main (well, only) tenor is a VII. The ergos are weird, yes, but its nothing one can't get used to. Mine is very early in the VII run (258xxx). I've played VI's (both 5 and 6 digit) and a really good SBA (all owned by teachers of mine) and I definitely felt my horn could hang with theirs. I think $1800 for any pro horn, if its a good one, is a great deal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Cont
1,211 Posts
the earlier serial numbers say below M265XXX seem to be more desired but same is true for VI's. if it's in good shape & plays well......and if you like it's sound & feel then go for it. that's a good price & it sounds more like an alto price, tenors are usually a bit higher. each horn is different.....you really need to play it if you like it then $1800 is very reasonable for a pro Selmer Paris horn in good shape. I really like mine, but I'm a big fan of most Selmer altos anyway. they're good horns.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
the earlier serial numbers say below M265XXX seem to be more desired but same is true for VI's. if it's in good shape & plays well......and if you like it's sound & feel then go for it.
The whole sn thing is, frankly, ridiculous. The earlier MKVII's are more sort after because they are supposedly 'closer' to the MKVI. Some people even say that the M prefixed sn MKVII's have a MKVI body tube (Ha!), but most people who buy an instrument based on the sn wouldn't touch a MKVI over 200XXX so, in fact, the whole things a farce.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Cont
1,211 Posts
the M on a VII's serial number has nothing to do with a VI. the VII's have a different taper & bore. the reason some people prefer the earlier ones is that they think them better made or darker sounding and yes, there are those who mistakenly think an early VII has a VI body tube. I even see that on ebay.....that claim. that's never been proved, but you will see early 5 digit serial numbered VI's selling for prices that are ridiculous because they are "suppose" to be better. like I said, every horn is different, there are great VI's & VII's out there in the later production runs...you just have to play the horn.

I personally think Selmer still makes a great saxophone, you just can't assume every one is going to be the same. they are all different. if you like the horn, the way it sounds & feels (the VII keywork is a bit different) then buy it. just be sure "you" like it. you're the one who has to pay for it & play it so it's ultimately your opinion that matters on the horn not these you read here.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'm falling in love with a M265xxx Selmer Mark VII alto. What a tone! Nearly flawess intonation, and my small hands don't mind the low Eb/C spatulas. Can't wait to get it overhauled with new pads, springs, corks and felts.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
The MKVII tenor can be a great horn, mine is. I understand the same to be true for alto but have never had the pleasure of trying one.
I have a MKVI, MKVII,Yam 62 and a King Super 20 (tenors)......The ergo's of the MKVII are in there with them.
In fact I find the 62 to be the worse of the bunch with small hands and you never hear complaints about that horn.The palm keys are quite high off the body and easily knocked.
So I think the issue with the MKVII is, that they are not as good as a MKVI ergo's (to which they would have been compared in the early days) and this has become a disproportionate argument against the MKVII.
I have played other horns too that are a whole lot more difficult to navigate than the MKVII but again those horns are accepted for what they are...the Martin & the Buescher TH&C are amongst them.......I know ...I know they're vintage so to speak but that makes it OK?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts