Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All :
Yesterday I arrived to the city ( Bogotá,Colombia) where my Selmer Mark VII was waiting for me...This is a 1978 model ( M.280827 ) Made in France. The neck has the 7 over the letter M, The bell does not have engravings. It was changed the pads and adjusted the openings, and changed the corks by a luthier.
I bring with me two mouthpieces to use with it ( by mistake, I left in Brasil a PhilTone Mosaic 6* that I was using with my Yamaha YTS-275 ). These two mouthpieces were an Otto Link Super Tone Master 6* New York ( refaced by Mojo , .49 facing length, tip opening :0,094", MOJO +4 ), and a PhilTone rubber Eclipse .105"). The sax came with its Selmer S-80 D mouthpiece.
I started reviewing the sax, and found a bent in Low C note, I unscrewed it and fixed it. Also, The upper hole in the neck was not closing very well..the people at customs opened the case and they could have bent it ...I do not know.. I adjusted it. When I started blowing it I found that this sax has more resistance , than my previous chinese Oves, and my Yamaha YTS-275.
The sound is a little darker than the Yamaha, and , yes, it has the characteristic Selmer sound... (soon, I will posting a clip playing it ). Also, I found that the upper notes from A to C sound more "airy"( i can not describe it exactly, but if I do not press the left thumb key for second scale , it sounds different ). I started a play-along and recorded , in a very simple way , with my iPhone 7 plus...I made 3 recordings...( over the rainbow ( first with STM, and then with Eclipse, and Misty). I liked more the tone I get with the STM. I need now to find the reed that I feel more appropriate . I used a Rigotti Gold 3 in the STM ( 0.094") , and a Rigotti Gold 2 1/2 with the Eclipse ( .105"). Then I used the rigotti 2 1/2 with the STM and I felt it more friendly...
The lacquer in the bell is in good condition, it has some scratches in the left side ( where the sax get in contact with the pant's belt ), and has lost some lacquer in the keys... but it does not look bad.
Right now, I am looking for my box of reeds , to find the most appropriate .
I have some questions to Mark VII owners....
Does this sax have more resistance than others ?
The ones that use Ottolink STM with the Selmer Mark VII what reeds use to get the jazzy sound ?
I am pleased with this purchase, and now, I need to develop my embouchure, and get accustomed to the sax. The ergonomics, as some has stated, is different in low Eb and C, but not much, and the Lower notes ( C#, B, Bb ) are just a little lower than I was using before, but with some practice , It will not be a problem.
best wishes
Humbardi

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not a Mark VII owner, but I’ve played both the Mark VI and VII. The VII definitely felt “heavier”, so to speak, in terms of resistance. In my opinion, it’s sort of a middle ground between the Mark VI and my Buffet SDA. Th ergonomics felt more or less the same as the Mark VI, though. You can’t go wrong with an open piece like a Link STM, and a brighter reed (I like Vandoren Java Reds) might make it feel a bit lighter.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dear Death_and_Saxes, thanks for your reply. I have another mouthpiece a little more open Otto LinK STM 8... I will try it..thanks a lot

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
7,906 Posts
I have had mine for a few years now.
I don’t find it to be resistant unless it has a leak.
I would say it is one of the darkest sounding of my tenors.
Not noticebly heavier than any of them in my opinion.
I play mine with an early No USA STM 9* and have found Rigotti Gold and Vandoren green a good reed choice for me.
If you’re finding it very resistant, it might be an idea to have a tech check for leaks.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
That low stack bent rod needs to be straightened up by a competent repair person. It looks pretty bad, but can be repaired by someone that knows what they are doing. Given this issue, I’d expect your horn has other leaks, key play, etc. all of which could explain the resistance you’re feeling. Do you have a good repair person that could check it for you?

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
dear Guto and Bflat I am going to contact another sax player that may know a good technician here to check the sax. many thanks.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm playing on MK7 since 5 years.
Like B Flat was saying, the sound is darker then other tenors but maybe not the darkest. With a good mouthpiece its sounding really good, bright (i'm using drake ny jazz or theo wanne durga 3)

The lower register keys (C#, B, Bb) are uncomfortable but after a few months its doesnt metter. Maybe the reason are my big hands :)

Finally, i think that the mk7 is a good choice between price and good sound/mechanics.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
That “airy sound” between A and C is probably your octave key. Make sure the key on the body is closing completely and the key on the neck is opening enough. You can use your right hand to push down the key on the body or open the key on neck while you’re playing to see if it improves.
This isn’t an uncommon issue but an easy repair.
If it’s one thing that Selmer always did better than anyone else, it’s their octave key designs.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,025 Posts
Definitely have a tech look it over. There is not much point in 'evaluating' a horn that needs work, especially if it's full of leaks.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Good luck with the VII. I have a 7 and it is my horn of choice. I suspect that you might need a different mouthpiece for the Mark VII than you do for the Yammy. When I put my mouthpieces on Yamaha’s, they sound kind of dead. I like the Jazz sound and use a Vandoren T75 on my Mark VII. (104 tip opening/2.5 reed). My alternate mpc is a D;Addario D8M (110 tip opening), though with a tip opening this wide, it is harder to control my tuning. Also, I find that when my reed gets too soft (due to usage), I get more of an airy sound out of the Mark VII. I just ordered a 2.75 reed to try to compensate.

Also, I see that you have had some custom work done on your mouthpieces. Those ‘adjustments’ might not work well on the Selmer.

Unfortunate that your horn did not arrive in prime condition. This must be frustrating.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Mark 7s are perhaps the must underrated of all vintage tenors. When they're in good condition and set up right they have excellent intonation, excellent ergonomics, and a sound that combines the buzzy VI core with a big & bold body.

Humbardi I think if you have a good technician set yours up well, you'll really love your new horn.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
The position on the cork in order to play in tune were in the same order as the list ... The STM NY needed to be the more inside than the others, but were the one where I felt the bigger resistance ( I made a test pulling the mouthpiece outside the cork and had less resistance but the sax wass -30 cents in the tuner ). The second one was the Selmer S-80 that needed to be a little back than the STM NY on the cork . Third was the PhilTone Eclipse that was more outside on the cork, and could move up and down as it has less cork inside, and in fourth place was the Tone Edge, that was so back in the cork that almost could be dropped from the neck.
What could be the solution to this problem ?
My first guess is that you are biting. Do you play at the tip of the mouthpiece? That's not to say that playing at the tip is WRONG (nod to Pete Thomas), but it does make it easier to alter your pitch by biting.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My first guess is that you are biting. Do you play at the tip of the mouthpiece? That's not to say that playing at the tip is WRONG (nod to Pete Thomas), but it does make it easier to alter your pitch by biting.
Dear Dr. G. :
As you can see in the two pictures enclosed, my embochoure with the STM NY is covering the black part of the mouthpiece , but with the PhilTone I am playing on the TIP.. May be , as I was playing before only with the STM NY, and that mouthpiece is sleek, using a mouthpiece as the PhilTone with more diameter, makes me to bite....!!!
I am going to check myself with pictures when I am playing , and if I am bitting ( as I am doing with the Eclipse ) I am going to start improving my position on the mouthpiece. Also, I must select just one moutpiece and practice with that mouthpiece to ensure that I am doing the proper embouchure.
Many thanks, Dr G...!
View attachment 221502 View attachment 221504

It looks that I am bitting in all the hard resin mouthpieces and having the proper embouchure in the STM NY...

·
Registered
827 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi friends..
I found a good technician here, and now the Selmer Mark VII is playing very well. As someone said above, it was the octave key ( the one in the body ) and some pads that needed to be replaced. The sax was adjusted, and now it is playing without problems..

·
Registered
821 Posts
Mark 7s are perhaps the must underrated of all vintage tenors. When they're in good condition and set up right they have excellent intonation, excellent ergonomics, and a sound that combines the buzzy VI core with a big & bold body.

Humbardi I think if you have a good technician set yours up well, you'll really love your new horn.
Totally agree. Mine is set up well and I love it!

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 21 Posts