Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that every horn is a world in itself,but what are your opinions about the 80.XXX range MK VIs?Mine is a silver one (without high F#)and it still have almost the entire original silver laquer.This horn is very dark and mellow.Compared to today's SA II for example it has a bit less volume ,but an incredible voice,very focused and compact.I love its timbre.The keywork feels like butter and the action is a bit lower compared to today's market horns.the most incredible thing of my horn is the "homogenous factor" for ex. if you play a low f,then middle f and then top f (i'm not talking about altissimo,i mean "normal" top f) the volume is almost the same.Surprisingly the intonation is also very good.also you can hear very very little differencies between middle C#-D.I really love this horn,tell me what are your thought and experiences.Bye

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
So, I'm a little unclear - Do you like your new horn?;)

Just kidding, I play a 97,XXX VI Tenor. Fabulous instrument - clearly it's not holding me back. Welcome to 5 digit Mark VI world. :D

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,596 Posts
Not so sure why the superior intonation of these horns should be at all surprising. The intonation on my VI tenor is excellent, and requires a lot less pitch-humoring and such than most of the modern horns I've played.

·
Registered
259 Posts
As you see from my sig area, my VI is a little earlier, but I love it. The only problem I have had with it is using the short shank C** Soloist that was in the case when I bought it. I have to pull it out on the neck a LONG way to get concert A or Bb in tune, and that puts other notes out in relation just a bit. But using the metal Berg, it works well. The 3rd line D natural is also a bit sharp but the rest of the horn is terrific.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I can't comment on the tenor, but I have an 89xxx alto that's a great player.

Just wondering though - is it thought that the tendencies of each range of serial numbers in the Mark VI line are the same across horns?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,484 Posts
I prefer my 170xxx to any 5 digit i've touched.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,023 Posts
Just wondering though - is it thought that the tendencies of each range of serial numbers in the Mark VI line are the same across horns?
Good question. But there is no real consensus that any particular tendencies exist among any range of serial numbers in the first place. I'm very happy with my 121,xxx tenor, but have no idea how it compares to a "5-digit."

·
Registered
745 Posts
Dang, sorry bb, but my tenor's a 797xx and I've heard those are a lot different than the 80xxx range.

Anyway, good luck to you!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I had a 7718x -- pretty forgettable.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,567 Posts
I love my 85xxx. I flirted with the Idea of selling it and buying a ref and pocketing the rest, but nothing comes close.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Hey everyone,

My horn is less than 100 serial numbers above 85,000, and it's by far the best horn I've ever touched. My repair guy (who I bought my first VI from, somewhere in the 200,000 range. He's a great player to boot!) never wants to give the horn back. The notes slot in such a unique way. The intonation is right on as well, and the tone is unreal. Everyone I work with, musicians and engineers alike, could immediately tell a difference.

I sold a 172,xxx VI to help pay for this one, and the difference was remarkable. The tone of the 172,xxx was brighter and thinner, and the low notes were really tough. (This was due to Selmer fiddling with bore/bow sizes. The bow of that horn was too big, causing the low notes to be hard to play. I eventually had a piece of cork sheet glued to the upper inside of the bow to reduce the diameter. It helped a lot, but it was still never even close to my 85,xxx.) The only bummer is that it had a high F# key, which I only used for altissimo Eb. I still throw for it sometimes..

My repair guy has a number of five digit VIs, and we've played them all. He's got an 83,xxx, 91,xxx (pretty sure about that one), and a 60-something one (1955). The only one close is the 83,xxx, but the difference is still considerable.

There are always exceptions, but the charm of the 80,xxx horns isn't a myth. For altos, I think the pocket is around 120 or 140,xxx. Or at least that's what Sanborn says..

·
Registered
393 Posts
I had a Mint 81XXX Tenor setup by one of the best in the business. I felt that my 2005 Reference 36 was a superior horn. Sold the VI.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
I've played MK VI tenors since 1959 when I got my first one brand new, sold it several months ago. I can't estimate how many different VI tenors I've tried through the years and up until recently owned 4 and played each almost daily so I have plenty of comparative experience. I sold off my original 79xxx, a 103xxx original and a 231xxx re-lacquer and kept a 111xxx re lacquer which is by far the best of all I've ever tried or owned-the 231xxx being a close second. Serial number range is about the poorest way to describe a VI tenor. The next poorest assumption is if it's original or re-lacquered.

Mactenor, I have a Ref 36 and tried several others and in my opinion they stink-sound terrible, soul less and sterile and I haven't heard anyone else play one that made it sound any good IN MY OPINION, either. I will quickly dump my 36 when the right VI comes along...

·
Registered
80 Posts
the 231xxx being a close second. Serial number range is about the poorest way to describe a VI tenor. The next poorest assumption is if it's original or re-lacquered.
I had a VI s/n 220xxx and although I haven't played other Selmers, I was quite happy with it. I've always questioned the effect of relaquering on the sound of the horn. Shure would be great to hear a recorded before/after on a horn.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
I have come to the conclusion that it is all about getting one that is better for no particular reason. It is just better.

Play 5 new saxes and you will always find one that just pops for whatever reason. My 10M is like that to me. It is just a special sax. It is a later rolled tone hole version with no forked e flat key. The conventional wisdom is that the early 10M's were the best. Not buying it.

I once played a 219XXX Mark VI's that was killerdiller.

Best regards and enjoy that sax.
Hutmo

·
Registered
18 Posts
I play Selmer Mark VI tenor s/n 83916 and Selmer Mark VI Bari s/n 151118.

Love both of them. I bought the tenor in 1973 and had the metal resonators replace with plastic. I didn't know any different at that time. Will hear the difference

·
Registered
681 Posts
There is something special about the 80xxx range of Vi's. I've have played a ton of different VI's from all different serial ranges. I own a 120xxx tenor and a 84xxx tenor. The 84xxx has something really special to the tone. I compared it to a great original lacquer 59xxx tenor and there's just something special about mine. It has a certain focus that the 80xxx horns are known for. There has always been talk about this series of horns I think there is a reason for that.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts