• Tenor

Votes: 574 66.9%
  • Bari Low Bb

Votes: 51 5.9%
  • Bari Low A

Votes: 43 5.0%
  • Bass

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • Other: I don't think I missed any. Did I?

Votes: 7 0.8%
501 - 520 of 531 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did some searches, and I didn't come up with a thread like this, so I hope I'm not duplicating. :shock:

OK boys and girls, so it's fess up time. Given all the Mark VI threads around, I thought it would be kind of fun to see how many of the 16,000+ SOTW members actually own one or more of the horns that people either a) love, or b) love to hate :)

So, to all of you proud (or bashful) Mark VI owners, let's do a head count.

Include the type (SATB or whatever else) and anything else that might be interesting like S/N range, unusual model (eg: varitone, low A alto), etc. etc.

So here goes my list. In total there are 4 in my horn family:

Soprano: 266XXX with a high F# key
Alto: 240XXX
Tenor: 198XXX
Bari: 147XXX low Bb a relaquered horn
Sorry to be 13 years or so late on reply - just found the forum.
I have a French made Selmer Mark VI, serial number 155XXX that I received as a sophomore in high school. I'm 68 now and just began to play again as entertainment due to the Covid. It is original except for a few pads and felt. Lacquer is about 75%, excellent shine, reworked neck due to a bend.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
24,336 Posts
Sorry to be 13 years or so late on reply - just found the forum.
I have a French made Selmer Mark VI, serial number 155XXX that I received as a sophomore in high school. I'm 68 now and just began to play again as entertainment due to the Covid. It is original except for a few pads and felt. Lacquer is about 75%, excellent shine, reworked neck due to a bend.
Welcome to the forum, JoeRob. You're not really 13 years late with your reply. This is an on-going thread.

Sounds like you've got a great horn there. By the way, it's still an 'original' horn even if you change out all the pads and felts. They wear out with use and should be replaced as necessary. When the pads get old, they start leaking and the horn doesn't play well (to say the least).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Alto - 110XXX - my parents bought it used when I was going into high school in 1969. I still play it
Tenor - 84XXX - purchased from a guy in the mid to late 80's from a guy that needed the money to buy a new bass guitar
Soprano - 299XXX - purchased in the late 90's

I play the alto the most, in a local orchestra as well as a jazz orchestra and a blues/rock band. The tenor only now and again, although I really do love playing it. I struggle with the soprano but played it regularly for a couple of years with a New Orleans style street band.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Current:
138xxx Tenor
105xxx Baritone Low A

Previous:
220xxx Alto Low A
2xxxxx (can't remember, as I didn't like it at all)
does your tenor have the vertical Mark VI stamp like the Varitone horns?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,348 Posts
I'm tendering my resignation from the club. I cashed out my Mark VI in 2019...now I'm rockin' a Reference 54 tenor. I love the Mark VI but I needed the money more...and the Ref. 54 is smooth.

501 - 520 of 531 Posts