• Tenor

Votes: 574 66.9%
  • Bari Low Bb

Votes: 51 5.9%
  • Bari Low A

Votes: 43 5.0%
  • Bass

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • Other: I don't think I missed any. Did I?

Votes: 7 0.8%
481 - 500 of 531 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,468 Posts
Recently picked up at 156XXX tenor as a birthday present for myself, a European model with silver keys. It's in far from pristine condition but the wear is in all the right places to tell me that previous owners put a lot of miles on this horn, which I think is always a good sign. Just got it back from Lee's Saxworx this week and it plays great.

Haven't decided yet if it will unseat my 10M as my main horn, but I'm definitely considering it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not going to go and get the horn out to check serial number as I haven't been able to play for years due to sinus problems. But I bought my Tenor new in 1970 for around $450. Thousands of hours playing for pleasure, it's been repadded several times and is in great shape. Great playing horn.

·
Registered
Yamaha YAS-62 MK 1 (stamped logo) 053XXX
493 Posts
Alto 238,XXX

All of the serical number list show this number after the company started the Mark VII - however, this is a Mark VI - was there just no exact cutoff to the number and manufacturing?
From what I've seen is Selmer did make a few Altos and tenors beyond what is considered the end of the MK VI but they are rare and far between.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,348 Posts
Like B Flat, I'm outta da club now. Spouse's medical situation drove me to sell my nice horns in 2018 and 2019 (took longer than I expected.) About a year ago, I picked a Ref. 54 Tenor cheap from bandmate (it had previously been dropped off a stage and brought back to life.) It's taken a year of shedding to make a real connection with this Ref. 54 and now I don't miss the Mark VI tenor 155xxx. The Mark VI had a nice zing/ring to the tone that the Ref. 54 doesn't have, but the intonation is better on the 54 and I don't have to worry about low note warbling/gargling.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Current:
191xxx Alto (2-tone, Euro assembled)
105xxx Tenor (Relaq, USA assembled)

Previous:
216xxx Soprano
107xxx Tenor

·
Registered
130 Posts
I already have an almost mint late 239xxx tenor which I had extensively and expensively overhauled a couple of years ago. However, last week I got an offer I couldn´t resist and picked up another mk VI tenor (218xxx) at a great price (and no, it wasn´t stolen!). The intention was just to buy it and flip it but as it turns out, it is a great horn and more fun to play than my 239. Don´t know what to do now...

/Saxray

481 - 500 of 531 Posts