• Tenor

Votes: 574 66.9%
  • Bari Low Bb

Votes: 51 5.9%
  • Bari Low A

Votes: 43 5.0%
  • Bass

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • Other: I don't think I missed any. Did I?

Votes: 7 0.8%
461 - 480 of 531 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
98,xxx tenor

My horn was owned (and bought new I believe) by a friend of mine, who passed away several years back. His widow and I actually ended up getting married, and I inherited the horn. My other sax is a 60's 10m, and I've found the difference in keywork, especially in the palm keys, to be a bit of a challenge going back and forth, but to me the Mk VI has a warmer sound than the Conn to my ear...

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm primarily a tenor player (King S20 from around 1949) but i have this sweet MVI alto I really love. One of the early ones I guess (64xxx) silver plate. Looks like Euro engraving and there is not a Mark VI engraved any where on it. It has a rich sonorous tone. I was playing a Meyer That i bought new a little over 20 years ago but recently switched to Theo Wanne's NY Bros Meyer clone. (I also have a MVI tenor 89xxx, but for me, I just like my King and have been sticking with it for a number of years)

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Alto - Mark VI - 110xxx - My parents bought this used horn for me when I was going into high school in 1969.
Tenor - Mark VI - 84xxx , picked this up from a guy in the late 80's that was selling it so he could buy a new bass guitar.
Soprano - Mark VI - 299xxx - Not super happy with this horn but still a nice piece.

·
Registered
26 Posts
At the moment I own 3 mark VI’s.

An 109xxx alto which I just got last month. I had an 215xxx alto and before that one I had a series 3. The series 3 was my first own saxophone, which I got from my parents when I just started playing. When I grew older and started to get my own sound, I outgrew this instrument. I kept it for 13 years, and it rarely saw the daylight. I got an endorsementdeal at Le Monde Saxophones in the Netherlands, and I love the alto they make, so I only played on that horn. I sold it (with a few tears) to an student of mine, and she is very happy with it! From the money i got from the series 3 (and some more ofcourse) I purchased the 215xxx alto with high f#, but I never “fell in love”. Recently I saw a nice looking 105xxx without an f# at my saxstore, tried it, and instantly fell in love. I left my 215xxx at the store and traded it in (and spend some more money) for the 105xxx. Very happy with it!

My tenor is a simular story. I had a reference 54, which I loved by the way! Back in 2007 it needed some small repairs, so I went to my sax shop, and saw this gorgeous delaquered 180xxx (no f#) mark VI in the shop. Same story. Tried it, and left the store with another saxophone, and an empty wallet. Still own this horn to this day and still love it.

Last week I purchased my latest item, a 154xxx low a Baritone.

Very proud to own these beautiful instruments! (The soprano is a Le Monde Global Vintage soprano)

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Got my Mark VI tenor today!!
I guess this is what they call a "Closet Find". A 1968 silver plated tenor from the first owner. The owner bought the instrument new for 1700 dutch guilders (say 800 US dollars) back in '68. He played it in local a band for some time and than left in in the case for many years. Four years ago he decided for a repad (white roopads, new corks etc). He tried to start playing again but had to stop due to health issues. I bought it today for less than 4000 euro.
The sax plays great. Very sweet and even sound. Great feel under my fingers and and so beautiful that I keep staring at it when not playing. I'm so happy!!

461 - 480 of 531 Posts