Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, following my questions about whether to buy a Reference 54 and hence sell my Yamaha 62, many suggested that I should consider literally getting a Mark VI.

I've found one but don't know much about whether its worth it or not?

Its a 1966 Mark VI Serial N°136113 bought in Paris in 1966 and apparently in reasonable condition.

He's selling it for only 2500€ negociable!

Is this worth it or will the silver plate give it a tinny sound.

Is this the Mark VI everybody has been telling me about??

Please give me your opinions...

here's the link

Teagan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,687 Posts
It looks shiny. No, the silver plating will not make it sound tinny.

Play it. If you connect with it, you'll know it. If not, it's nothing special.

·
Registered
873 Posts
My main alto is a 66' silverplated Mark VI. It is a great horn and the silver plating definitely does not make it sound tinny. That looks like a good price for a horn in good shape. I'd say you should still play it first though....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Jump on the VI. Forget that sillyness about silver plate making a horn sound tinny. If it's as good as the pictures you'll have a treasure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Maybe I should.. just that I sometimes wonder what a real Mark VI is?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Maybe I should.. just that I sometimes wonder what a real Mark VI is?
Not sure what you mean here, but if it's made by Selmer Paris in 1966 it's a real Mark VI. If you're concerned about the serial number debates going on here (one series is better than the other, 80,000 vs. 150,000, etc.) don't let that disuade you from pursuing this horn. Go look at it and try it. Most of the comments here about about the varying qualitys of the Mark VI are personal comments and have nothing to do with this or any other specific horn.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,677 Posts
That's a real MKVI in the photo. What makes you think otherwise?

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
I suggested you get a V1 in your last thread. Go and try it out. It might not play as well as it will after it's been set up to perfection so judge it on the notes that play and go with your gut reaction. Nothing wrong with Silver plate. I like plated MK V1's.
It will have more resistance than the Yamaha but if you buy it you will learn to like it and grow with it. Play it rather than it play you.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
521 Posts
From the looks of the small pictures, it looks quite nice. Why not try it?

I always find the plating arguments funny...I hear gold-plated horns sound warm, while silver-plated ones are bright. Yet the gold-plated horns only have a handful of microns of gold over a silver-plating job...just saying.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I was beaten to it by another buyer.. arrived there and the guy, just apologised!

·
Always be a Beginner in the Sax Playing Art
2,322 Posts
Go find another one! :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Personally i've liked the golden brass mark vi's better than the silver mark vi's

i had played on a silver mark vi for about one year soild and i used a dukoff d8 mp with vandoren (green box) alto javas 2 1/2 reed and found the horn could do bright and dark for me with no problems. I did notice that the aicds from playing caused pads to loosen faster than the gold brass mark vi horns for me so i went back to the golden brass mark vi's and this has not been a problem for me ever again.

I used it in sweden and gremany when i was their in 1997 and i maybe the star were in the wrong order?,or i just used a bad silver mark vi horn, however i've never tried another one since...

But i guess it's up too you now

good luck

tim

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a silver plated mark vi alto 104xxx i looooove it! Have played other mark vi but this one sounds better! In my opinion (could just be that I am used to it more)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Silver plate has played darker in my experience.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts