Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, this is my first post and my first Selmer (I hope it is!!), so please be kind. :)

I just got this sax from an old couple that just seems too good to be true. They don't have any record of it since it belonged to their son, so we don't know exactly what is all there.

I was quite excited to see that it had the Selmer brand on it and got it immediately. However, after some research on the web, I wasn't quite sure now, especially the neck. The serialNo on the body says M.81382. I understand this to be one of the more desired serialNo ranges, was made in 1959 and has an F# key.

I've attached some pix. I would greatly appreciated if someone can help to identify if this is really a Mark VI and if I should worry about the neck not being Selmer at all. Any comments on the case, ligature, mouthpiece, cap, lacquer and condition of the horn would definitely be appreciated.

Aside from this, it plays great! I'm VERY surprised that the mechanics are still responsive. It'll still need a bit of work to get it to the condition that I'm looking for. Any recommendations for a repair shop in Northern California?

Cheers,
TQT

View attachment 30418 View attachment 30419 View attachment 30420 View attachment 30421 View attachment 30422

·
Registered
577 Posts
How about pics of the actual sax...looks like MKVI, yr right the neck's wrong though...can always get a MKVI neck for it, keep an eye out on this site.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the quick response!! I was only able to post 5 pix at a time...please take a look at the next 2 sets.

So, my concern about the neck was warranted. Darn! I guess it's not the end-all. How much does a MKVI neck go for?

How about pics of the actual sax...looks like MKVI, yr right the neck's wrong though...can always get a MKVI neck for it, keep an eye out on this site.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
they're all French made...looks like you have a pretty nice horn there. Don't just buy any MK VI neck...try them out as you can and find one that works well with the horn. It doesn't necessarily need to be from the same ser. number range.....could be hard to find and expensive. Good luck with it

·
Registered
476 Posts
Also, (not that it makes any difference), the case is not a 1959 vinatge case. I think those started somewhere in the late '60s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
15,869 Posts
I had a case like that with my late 1963/early 1964 Mark VI alto. Best horn I ever had.

Meant to say that I bought it new with that case.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the correction on where it's made. I think I should have asked where it's assembled instead. I read that it can be assembled in US or France. How can I tell?

they're all French made...looks like you have a pretty nice horn there. Don't just buy any MK VI neck...try them out as you can and find one that works well with the horn. It doesn't necessarily need to be from the same ser. number range.....could be hard to find and expensive. Good luck with it

·
15,869 Posts
Thanks Tango and Belliott on your comments about the case. Interesting to note that it also holds a clarinet for someone that doubles. Here's a pic for that compartment.

View attachment 30433
It also has a place for a flute case.......thus the name treypack. Nice horn you have there.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That's definitely a Mark VI. It's before they put the "S" on the neck. Those are supposed to be the best of both worlds when talking about early selmers!

·
1,552 Posts
I still have my doubts about the neck. Aside from that, it looks like a fantastic horn. That mouthpiece is terrible, however. Please send it to me for proper disposal. :twisted:

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
It's definitely not a MKVI neck. And the neck is very important. Don't know what you paid for the horn, but reading between the lines I suspect you got a really good deal. Go on a search for a MKVI neck to complete the package and you'll be all set.

Also be sure to take the horn to a good tech and get it put into top playing condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
That's definitely a Mark VI. It's before they put the "S" on the neck. Those are supposed to be the best of both worlds when talking about early selmers!
You're joking -right? That neck is off something other than a Selmer(of any model) All MK VI necks have the "S", some earlier VI's even had two "S'es"

I still have my doubts about the neck. :
and rightfully so.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts