Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have offered a Mark 6 tenor neck for sale in this forum and would like to know when it was built. Since it does not have a serial number, it is a European model, and this makes it hard to find out. You will find a link to pictures below. I would hate to tell something that is not correct.
A friend of mine who is a respected maker of mouthpieces and knows a lot about Selmer horns had a look and said it was from the early 1960s. At that time, I was not thinking about a sale, so I did not ask him why he thought so.
I did some investigation in the www and this is what I found out:

the hindge mechanism seem to be the old version

the patch of metal underneath that reinforces the stability of the neck stops at about 2-3mms (about 0,10 inches) above the ring to which the tenon is soldered.

A bought this neck for my 1956 Mark 6 whose neck had had a pulldown in the past. With that neck (64xxx) the mechanism looks the same, but the patch reaches the ring that holds the tenon.

The first link shows just pics of the neck I'm offering, the second one shows pics that compare both necks.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r9dxr2ubgfxf65j/AACuv9QJ_4g79lPA493whc8fa?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t1rgkwdbxglu54m/AADtuUjlEWyJL2D9mxqDFOvma?dl=0

Thanks for looking and for your help.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I'd say the reinforcing piece on your original damaged neck has been removed and re-attached - possibly resoldered in a slightly incorrect position. ymmv etc

-A-

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's interesting. I was told the reinforcing piece on Selmer necks has different dimensions over the years. But you may be right: this original neck was worked on a lot... .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,931 Posts
That piece is called the 'brace', but it is a reinforcement. The neck is from an early model MK VI. Notice how the neck is already curving as it comes up out of the tenon ring. This was modified at some point so there was a short section of straight tube before the curve started. This also placed the point of the brace a little higher than before. So, its not that the brace had different dimensions - its that the necks had different designs, placing the lower end (point) of the brace closer to or farther from the tenon ring. When a brace has been removed and replaced as this this one may have, you need to look at the other features to be sure of the neck's origin.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, 1saxman, for your detailed expertise. Have I got it right that you think the neck I'm offering (not the one with the pull-down) is an early model? The patched neck is from 1956. I got it with the Mark 6 I bought eight years ago.

·
7,931 Posts
It could be later than '56. It strikes me as possibly an interim or transitional model between the two designs. Unfortunately I cannot date it precisely but would guess 1959, which I still call 'early'.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have a 120xxx blue S Neck French Assembled tenor. No engraving and no serial number outside of neck. The previous owner showed me right inside the tenon area of the neck the etched serial numbers. It's hard to see and I needed a light. Have you tried looking there?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I have tride to figure that out, but so far I haven't found any numbers. I'll put on my best glasses.....

·
Registered
91 Posts
On my first 1965 Euro model Mark 6, the last three digits of the Serial No.were etched on the underside of the logo on the octave lanyard.
The full number was also engraved under the left little finger plateau.

·
7,931 Posts
I didn't mention the places where the last three digits could be found on a neck because it proves nothing in this case.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts