Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
A friend of me have two saxophones he want to sell, - what would you pay for this horns?

1) Selmer mark 6 low A baritone made in 1972. The neck that has been repaired and a key guard that has been soldered on. Otherwise the horn is very nice.
I found one on ebay today; $ 8500, but is this the price people pay for these horns?

2) Yamaha YTS-21. Nice playing condition, no dents.

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I’ve plated both those horns and neither is really in true playing condition. Tim told me he is going to put the Low A bari up for around $8k if they do all the work to fix it up first. The Low Bb horn is a consignment horn so the price is being set by the seller and IMO it’s priced too high as well. I guess a Mark VI bari in good playing condition in Norway probably would list for $8k or better. So that price isn’t too far out of line. The tenor is probably worth around $500-$700 depending upon condition.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
So I have insight in 3 recent Mark VI transactions that went down, these are the numbers that I know for a fact happened:

1. 213K (1973) Mark VI low A Bari - 80% original lacquer and good playing condition. I bought it off the forum for $4500.

2. 142K (1967) Mark VI low Bb Bari - 70% original lacquer and good playing condition. I sold it for $4000.

3. 180K Mark VI low A Bari - 100% original lacquer and mint condition - my friend bought it for $6500 off Craigslist.

Those are the deals I know of that actually closed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ve plated both those horns and neither is really in true playing condition. Tim told me he is going to put the Low A bari up for around $8k if they do all the work to fix it up first. The Low Bb horn is a consignment horn so the price is being set by the seller and IMO it’s priced too high as well. I guess a Mark VI bari in good playing condition in Norway probably would list for $8k or better. So that price isn’t too far out of line. The tenor is probably worth around $500-$700 depending upon condition.
So I have insight in 3 recent Mark VI transactions that went down, these are the numbers that I know for a fact happened:

1. 213K (1973) Mark VI low A Bari - 80% original lacquer and good playing condition. I bought it off the forum for $4500.

2. 142K (1967) Mark VI low Bb Bari - 70% original lacquer and good playing condition. I sold it for $4000.

3. 180K Mark VI low A Bari - 100% original lacquer and mint condition - my friend bought it for $6500 off Craigslist.

Those are the deals I know of that actually closed.

Thank you very much, just the kind of information I was looking for.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts