Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know where I can find a Selmer case to fit a MKVI alto with the low 'A'?
The overall bell is longer with the additional key.
Thx,
Jim

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,815 Posts
The original Selmer case was exactly the same as the case for the standard low Bb alto. The accessory comparatment was a little smaller, though. Most rectangular alto cases made with a wooden hard shell exterior could be easily altered to fit the low A.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
Jim, I performed surgery on one and it worked just fine afterward.:)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked it over before making any incisions and it looks like quite a bit of cutting to get the bell lip to clear.I'm using an original Selmer wood rectangular hardcase.Did you have to alter the wall of the compartmenrt to clear the bell?
Jim

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
Yes Jim, You will have to make the compartment for accessories smaller.
What I did was take some very stiff cardboard, double it over and staple it and cut it to the right height and shape.
Then I got some matching velvet and hot glued it over the cardboard to make a new wall for the accessory compartment and then used small tacks and hot glue to secure the new "wall" of the compartment into place.

It worked really well, held nicely, and if not for the slightly different color of the velvet of the insert, you may not have known it wasn't original.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
1,815 Posts
Or...

First remove the original accessory compartment. It's probably held in place by wood screws or staples. Either unscrew the fasteners or pry the compartment loose. Then saw off 1 -2 inches (whatever it takes to clear the bell) from the long side of the compartment and lid. The edge of the compartment when removed is unfinished (no velevet covering). Leave it that way.

Carefully screw the compartment back in place using wood screws or short drywall screws. This is the hard part. You may want to drill pilot holes in the sides of the case first and then make sure the screws enter the unfinished edges of the compartment.

Fill the old staple or wood screw holes with plastic wood, wood filler, or even crayon. Use a magic marker to color the filler.

You can use wood glue to make sure the compartment sticks to the case, but if you do a good job of screwing the compartment into the case sides, it won't be necessary. The original factory job usually didn't use glue.

http://www.myspace.com/saxpsychosis

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi,
I did all the above and it turned out sweet.My attach screws lined up dead on and the compartment good and secure.A bit of carpet glue and it's a done deal.The horn looks much nicer in an original Selmer case.
Thx
Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts