The original Selmer case was exactly the same as the case for the standard low Bb alto. The accessory comparatment was a little smaller, though. Most rectangular alto cases made with a wooden hard shell exterior could be easily altered to fit the low A.
I looked it over before making any incisions and it looks like quite a bit of cutting to get the bell lip to clear.I'm using an original Selmer wood rectangular hardcase.Did you have to alter the wall of the compartmenrt to clear the bell?
Yes Jim, You will have to make the compartment for accessories smaller.
What I did was take some very stiff cardboard, double it over and staple it and cut it to the right height and shape.
Then I got some matching velvet and hot glued it over the cardboard to make a new wall for the accessory compartment and then used small tacks and hot glue to secure the new "wall" of the compartment into place.
It worked really well, held nicely, and if not for the slightly different color of the velvet of the insert, you may not have known it wasn't original.
First remove the original accessory compartment. It's probably held in place by wood screws or staples. Either unscrew the fasteners or pry the compartment loose. Then saw off 1 -2 inches (whatever it takes to clear the bell) from the long side of the compartment and lid. The edge of the compartment when removed is unfinished (no velevet covering). Leave it that way.
Carefully screw the compartment back in place using wood screws or short drywall screws. This is the hard part. You may want to drill pilot holes in the sides of the case first and then make sure the screws enter the unfinished edges of the compartment.
Fill the old staple or wood screw holes with plastic wood, wood filler, or even crayon. Use a magic marker to color the filler.
You can use wood glue to make sure the compartment sticks to the case, but if you do a good job of screwing the compartment into the case sides, it won't be necessary. The original factory job usually didn't use glue.
I did all the above and it turned out sweet.My attach screws lined up dead on and the compartment good and secure.A bit of carpet glue and it's a done deal.The horn looks much nicer in an original Selmer case.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
A forum community dedicated to saxophone players and enthusiasts originally founded by Harri Rautiainen. Come join the discussion about collections, care, displays, models, styles, reviews, accessories, classifieds, and more!