Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I have a question for all of you who played Guardalas on soprano, alto and tenor saxophones. I am in the process of searching the ligature for my Guardala soprano and alto mouthpieces and found these Selmers 40x series on the Mike Duchstein Saxophon Service. Here's the link https://www.saxophon-service.de/onl...6/selmer-blattschraube-fuer-metallmundstuecke. I tried to contact them via email and webpage, but they don't answer messages, and website doesn't state if the smaller ones work on soprano and alto Guardalas. Did you had a chance to try them? If they don't fit, what could you recommend for these? I heard a lot of good things about Ishimori.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
All the best,
Szymon

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Szymon: Years ago, I bought a Guardala gold-plated soprano mouthpiece directly from Guardala. He recommended a Winslow ligature, so I ordered one of those specifically to fit a Guardala mouthpiece. The Winslow ligature was obviously smaller in diameter than the regular Winslow ligs for soprano. It fit the Guardala nicely.

In fact, I had several Winslows for metal and HR soprano pieces, as well as Bb soprano clarinet, and HR alto. But after they all failed me (those little cushions ALL turned to a semi-liquid, gummy material - a total mess), I gave them all away to an Australian gal who was on the trad-jazz circuit in SoCal.

The Guardala soprano mouthpiece also left my possession in some long-forgotten trade. If you are desperate for a soprano ligature to fit that Guardala mouthpiece, you can always use suitably-sized rubber O-rings until you can find an actual lig to fit that mouthpiece. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,444 Posts
I used the Selmer ligs on my Guardalas before I discovered Rovners. Seems to me that I used the alto lig on tenor and the soprano lig on alto. definitely not 'tenor on tenor' because the selmer metals were so much larger than the regular Guardalas. I don't know about the 'Fat boy' - I never had one. If you have a Guardala soprano, I don't think there is a Selmer ligature that small.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I used the Selmer ligs on my Guardalas before I discovered Rovners. Seems to me that I used the alto lig on tenor and the soprano lig on alto. definitely not 'tenor on tenor' because the selmer metals were so much larger than the regular Guardalas. I don't know about the 'Fat boy' - I never had one. If you have a Guardala soprano, I don't think there is a Selmer ligature that small.
Thank you for the info, that’s what I suspected. Although my Guardalas aren't FatBoys, I think these listed on Mike's webpage will work on tenor and alto, but not soprano. Maybe there's some generic lig which will fit soprano mouthpiece.

Concerning the Rovners, which ones do you use? Are they metal or fabric ones? I have some fabrics as a backup to my François Louis Pure Brass, but I prefer metal ligs.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
You could try filing a Selmer ligature to make it fit if you just have to have that. I’ve had them break from tightening so you’d have to be careful.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,886 Posts
you can also try a Brancher ligature a friend tried mine on his Guardala and worked

1 - 8 of 8 Posts