Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 235 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse me if this has been raised before but I saw this announcement today- the information is quite vague but suggests a larger range of instruments to suit all budgets- so this sounds like a budget version of the selmer product made in the Far East. I love the way companies phrase these announcements. If anyone knows it would be interesting to find out- thanks

http://www.conn-selmer.com/en-us/about/news/henri-selmer-paris-launches-new-brand/

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNvxhL4EuD4
5 hours ago - Uploaded by Henri SELMER Paris
SeleS the new brand by Henri SELMER Paris Henri SELMER Paris launches a new brand ...

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
What does Monica Seles have to do with woodwinds?

Neither the press release nor the video states exactly where the new line will be manufactured. The implication is "somewhere other than Paris," but there are only vague references to "external industrial collaborations."

I'm pleased that Selmer chose music by a U.S. composer for its soundtrack. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,096 Posts
well, this looks no good at all.

In other, non marketing words, they are going to mass produce cheaper instruments for a wider market, which they say they they will still make in Mantes-la-Ville but will use” EXTERNAL INDUSTRIAL COLLABORATIONS” :faceinpalm:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Has anyone else looked at this? It seems like Selmer Paris took out three more trademark brands besides SeleS that relate to Saxophone instruments and mouthpieces including Axos, Prologue, and Presence. Anyone have more information on this?

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Am I the only one that noticed that the logo, wanting to be symmetrical, is read Sales, and not Seles?
I think it's not coincidental :)

The "history and tradition of Selmer" has always been "let's make very good horn with the Selmer Paris brand and then a lot of shabby instruments with any brand that starts with Selmer..." (Selmer-conn, Selmer- Prelude, Selmer-Bundy, Selmer-Seles...)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,272 Posts
It all seems inevitable really. We don't like it, but quality seems to be unprofitable and out of date.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
1,521 Posts
I don't know if quality will be lower or not, my guess is that it won't be higher! But, in modern societies, consumers are indeed less focused on lasting quality. It is an instant gratification world, a disposable goods world, with purchases looked at as more temporary than in decades past.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,272 Posts
i guess there will always be quality instruments, but the cost will be very high. The Powell Eagle project seems to have failed, but there will be others i am sure.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,203 Posts
You guys are just utterly clueless. The Seles horns will be manufactured in France from brass imported from Taiwan. Seles is a tribute to a famous deceased orchestra leader from Taipei. His name (insert here) approximately translates into 'Seles'. Paul is the only one who has come close. Pronounced in Taiwanese, 'Seles' indeed sounds to Western ears like a groan from a female tennis player.

·
Registered
240 Posts
You guys are just utterly clueless. The Seles horns will be manufactured in France from brass imported from Taiwan. Seles is a tribute to a famous deceased orchestra leader from Taipei. His name (insert here) approximately translates into 'Seles'. Paul is the only one who has come close. Pronounced in Taiwanese, 'Seles' indeed sounds to Western ears like a groan from a female tennis player.
Where did you see this? And why is the Seles being marketed on the Conn-Selmer website?

Some possible translations..
Se le si = ??? (Sales)
Sa li si= ??? (Sarris)

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
So, Selmer Paris is finally feeling the effect of their 20-25% price hikes since two years ago. Saw that coming from a mile away.
[sarcasm]I eagerly await the reactions of the fanatics to the fact that Selmer is stooping to the same level as :eek: Yamaha.[/sarcasm]

But seriously, what are they hoping to accomplish with this? They're now competing in a saturated market with Selmer USA and Conn, both of which run under the same banner, along with whatever other student saxes and clarinets come out of Conn-Selmer, not to mention Yamaha, Jupiter, Cannonball, and the other brands making intermediate and student horns, and on top of everything else the eBay and Amazon ISOs. I would think Selmer would be better off just dropping their pro horns' (and for that matter their mouthpieces') prices back to something reasonable in reaction to their declining sales, because those prices are obviously one of the big factors, than creating an entirely new factory system and brand name for horns that frankly doesn't have great prospects right out of the gate.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
I would been keen to see what they are like, if they feel like a selmer and have a low arch neck and the price is right I would be very interested.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So, Selmer Paris is finally feeling the effect of their 20-25% price hikes since two years ago. Saw that coming from a mile away.
[sarcasm]I eagerly await the reactions of the fanatics to the fact that Selmer is stooping to the same level as :eek: Yamaha.[/sarcasm]

But seriously, what are they hoping to accomplish with this? They're now competing in a saturated market with Selmer USA and Conn, both of which run under the same banner, along with whatever other student saxes and clarinets come out of Conn-Selmer, not to mention Yamaha, Jupiter, Cannonball, and the other brands making intermediate and student horns, and on top of everything else the eBay and Amazon ISOs. I would think Selmer would be better off just dropping their pro horns' (and for that matter their mouthpieces') prices back to something reasonable in reaction to their declining sales, because those prices are obviously one of the big factors, than creating an entirely new factory system and brand name for horns that frankly doesn't have great prospects right out of the gate.
Yeah I mean I can't imagine wanting to drop almost 6 grand (list price) on a new selmer that is, by many accounts, set up poorly from the factory- I'm not so sure many players are. A Series III tenor's resale price will depreciate by 1/2- 2/3 within 5 years. A vintage selmer's value is more likely to increase.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
I would think Selmer would be better off just dropping their pro horns' (and for that matter their mouthpieces') prices back to something reasonable in reaction to their declining sales, because those prices are obviously one of the big factors, than creating an entirely new factory system and brand name for horns that frankly doesn't have great prospects right out of the gate.
That would make sense to me as well. There's no excuse for a lineup of professional horns that goes from very expensive to extremely expensive to super-expensive. Not counting models made with precious metals, the least expensive regular production Selmer Paris alto, the Series II Jubilee, is about $800 more than the most expensive regular production Yanagisawa alto, the brand new bronze WO20 (992 replacement). Yani and Yamaha both offer excellent pro horns in the $3000+ and $4000+ ranges. Selmer looks down at those prices and scoffs.

I think Selmer Paris should find a way to do what Buffet/Keilwerth has done with the MKX: create a desirable pro horn that lops a meaningful amount off the existing retail pricing but retains the Selmer Paris brand. I agree with you that the market for second-tier brands is already overcrowded.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,096 Posts
Price is not, in itself, the problem, there are saxophones more expensive than a Selmer, the problems is the size of the company and the scale of its economy.

Selmer is a giant. They could either reduce their size trying to stay alive producing within a market niche or try to broaden the market base.

They are responding to the shrinking of their market ( which they think is due to price and the fact that they are the largest company occupying only the top segment) byt broadening their possible base.

That was one of the two possible strategies to solve the problems that they are in, the other one would have been to reduce size to a much leaner and smaller high end only company.

Perhaps these comments I made some time ago have escaped the attentions of most because they were in another thread.
Selmer has entered since 29 January 2013 an extraordinary period which will end soon, now is the time for some choices and this new trend appears to be their response to this.

“........

29 janvier 2013

Sécurisation de l’emploi : Michel Sapin visite l’entreprise SELMER
Michel Sapin, ministre du Travail, de l’emploi, de la formation professionnelle et du dialogue social a visité, lundi 28 janvier 2013, l’entreprise SELMER, à Mantes la Ville, sur le thème de la sécurisation de l’emploi.
Ce fût l’occasion d’échanger avec la direction et les partenaires sociaux de l’articulation des enjeux de compétitivité et de sécurité de l’emploi au sein de cette entreprise, et notamment du recours à l’activité partielle (ou chômage partiel). Dispositif permettant aux entreprises de réduire ou de suspendre temporairement l’activité de tout ou partie de leurs salariés en cas de baisse d’activité, il a permis d’éviter des licenciements, et même la fermeture de l’entreprise.
Le ministre a salué l’accord interprofessionnel du 11 janvier dernier qui prévoit entre autres une simplification et une amélioration du recours à l’activité partielle. Les partenaires sociaux signataires de cet accord se sont engagés à ouvrir dans les deux semaines suivant cette signature, une négociation sur l’activité partielle, en incluant l’Etat sur les champs relevant de sa compétence, visant à mettre en œuvre un nouveau régime d’activité partielle. Un nouveau dispositif unifié et plus efficace sera mise en place en fusionnant les deux allocations actuelles, en simplifiant les modalités de calcul, en incitant à se former pendant les périodes chômées et en prévoyant des engagements modulés de l’entreprise avec le recours au dispositif.

........."

The “ partenaires sociaux signataires de cet accord ” are the unions and the association of the employers , The “ Social Partners” whom signed this accord.

“ activité partielle ou chômage partiel” means ( partial activity or partial unemployment).

They are talking about a mechanism ( which the government agreed upon last January) for which it is possible, for a company, to reduce the working hours of a group of workers (in order to pay them less in times of crisis and save their jobs) but compensating them as if they were unemployed ( for that amount of hours) through the mechanism of the jobless allowances or unemployment benefit for the amount of hours that they haven’t worked (and haven’t been paid for from the company).

This is an extraordinary measure limited in the amount of time and the amount of hours (normally a maximum of 1000 hours) and implemented only if a company has too little orders to keep the work force in permanent work.

http://www.emploi.gouv.fr/dispositif/activite-partielle

Selmer has had permission to reduce the working week hence saving cost because they don’t have enough work to keep all the people busy all the time and pay them a full salary. So it cannot be used if there are enough orders and stops immediately when the economy improves.

In practice the workers get paid less but keep the job and get the difference with their normal salary paid by the state for a maximum of 1000 hours.

This doesn’t fall under the definition of State help, in the EU. These are the stringent controls to insure that no state help is carried out in the EU.

http://ec.europa.eu/competition/state_aid/overview/state_aid_procedures_en.html

That would make sense to me as well. There's no excuse for a lineup of professional horns that goes from very expensive to extremely expensive to super-expensive. ..........
Why would there be no excuse in producing only luxury, top of the line instruments?

There are many examples of small companies ( In the music business or even more in the automotive business) thriving doing exactly that! The thing is that they are SMALL, lean and mean. Nothing like Selmer.

Selmer wants to do something that they have never done in their whole history and they are attempting this in times of market shrinkage and crisis ( which is nowhere near being over!).

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Price is not, in itself, the problem, there are saxophones more expensive than a Selmer, the problems is the size of the company and the scale of its economy.

Selmer is a giant. They could either reduce their size trying to stay alive producing within a market niche or try to broaden the market base.

They are responding to the shrinking of their market ( which they think is due to price and the fact that they are the largest company occupying only the top segment) byt broadening their possible base.

That was one of the two possible strategies to solve the problems that they are in, the other one would have been to reduce size to a much leaner and smaller high end only company.

Perhaps these comments I made some time ago have escaped the attentions of most because they were in another thread.
Selmer has entered since 29 January 2013 an extraordinary period which will end soon, now is the time for some choices and this new trend appears to be their response to this.
Thank you. :thumbrig:

It always makes me scratch my head when some just pile on with negativity over something they know nothing about.
How about giving it some time and just see what Selmer will be offering?

1 - 20 of 235 Posts