Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have Selmer Larry Teal (LT) scroll shanks for alto and tenor, and really like them. Can anyone speak to how the modern S80 blank LTs compare to the vintage one?

Since I've started using vintage pieces I've started looking at how difficult it would be to replace my pieces if something happens to them. For example, I still don't know what I'll do if something happens to my Brilhart Personaline -- they don't come up often, and when they do the seller usually wants more than I'm willing to pay. On the other hand, my Ebolins are still quite common and (IMHO) underpriced.

Scroll shank LT altos come up from time to time, and they're usually reasonably priced, but still not common enough for my liking. Tenors are even less common, but still affordable. However, the modern LTs are much more common for both horns. Are they comparable to the older models?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
This is from 40 yrs. ago, or so, but I owned both for tenor. I didn't notice any difference back then.

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
They play completely different for me. The scroll shank LT altos are one of the best classical mouthpieces out there, snd work really well for a more west coast style for jazz. They are also nice when opened up. Nothing like the modern versions IMO.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
work really well for a more west coast style for jazz.
As a jazz tone goes, these are toward the darker end which is where I like to hang out. And despite the smaller tip openings they're really comfortable to play in a straight-ahead setting. A little brighter than I'm used to for classical, but not overly bright, and I'm adapting quickly. I never believed the people who claim to play the same piece for classical and jazz could do both particularly well, but I'm starting to see the possibilities.

Holding onto the Brilharts for now, but it may be time to retire the Raschers...

Saxaholic said:
Nothing like the modern versions IMO.
Different good, different bad, or just different?

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
I find the vintage pieces to have much more color and depth to the sound. The modern versions have more "noise" and less "tone" for me, if that makes sense.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I played an S-80 body LT for months. Then I bought a scroll shank LT for comparison. So the flip of what the OP is asking. The newer LT is a much easier blow and brighter. I had the scroll shank refaced to more closely match the S-80 body LT.

So I would say the scroll has more resistance and is darker/warmer.

I have only played a few S-80 body LTs, only about three. Then a few scroll shanks, only one being LT. The scroll shanks were all warmer and more resistant.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The scroll shanks were all warmer and more resistant.
Thanks, andre251! Darker is my jam! And I really prefer a little bit of pushback, so it looks like I'm in the right place with the scroll shank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts