Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, SOTWers-

I'm in high school and have been playing alto sax for about seven years. I guess you could call me an advanced intermediate player. Currently I use a Selmer La Voix II alto sax which I've had for about 5 years. My mouthpiece is a V16 a6 and my reeds are java red 3's (I've tested a bunch, this is what I like.) I think it might be time to upgrade my sax to take my playing to the next level, yada yada. Also, I know that opinions about the La Voix are, well, mixed. The problem is that my budget is only around $3500 and the sax has to be new (or at least b-stock.) Currently, I'm looking at Yanagisawa (awo1 or awo2) Cannonball vintage reborn, Eastman 52nd st. or P Mauriat 67. Unfortunately, there is no way I can test any of these horns. My questions are: is it worth upgrading from a La Voix to any of these horns? Or should I wait and save up for a Keilwerth, Selmer ref 54, or "elite" Yanagisawa? And if any of you have experience with the La Voix, is it comparable in tone or response to the others listed?

Thanks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you can, wait and get the Elite Yanagisawa (A-WO33 or 37). That being said, the A-WO1 and A-WO2 are amazing horns. Also, knowing that you won't be able to test them, I'd stick with the Yanagisawa because they seem to be really consistent quality wise.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,464 Posts
… and the sax has to be new...
$3,500 will buy you the very best pro model alto out there; from a Mark VI, Selmer II, III or Reference, to a top model Yanagisawa or Yamaha, and to practically every American vintage alto ever made. And for most of these horns, you won't have to spend the whole budgeted amount. The world is your oyster. But of course only if you consider used horns. So you really need to rethink this. You can have a horn for life. The very best. And should you end up favoring something else down the road, you can sell it for the value paid.

Or you could overspend on overhyped junk which will lose half its value or more once you walk out of the shop with it... just for that new horn smell.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,055 Posts
Im not saying you need to upgrade but If youndo buy a premium brand and consider a gently used horn. Let someone else tske the 30'percent depreciation. If you keep it you got a better deal. If you sell it you will recover your investment. You can get a heck of a lot of alto used under two grand....well under that. Younwill have money to put towards mouthpieces or a tenor. Im not clear why it has to be new or b stock. B stock is a used horn that has been returned with damage. I fail to see the advantage over buying used from a reputable dealer....not fleabay

a better horn wont take you to a different level. One of my customers is an incredible playsr with a beautiful tone. He played professionally and recorded with a custom mouthpiece and a Vito. The last time I saw him he had upgraded simply because he liked the horn and it was a deal he couldn't pass up. It sounded a little better but reslly only a little. The next level comes from you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts