Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nice accumulation of frequent traveler's points that can now be used on Amazon Prime. I've been wanting to make a step up from my original alto (Selmer Bundy II), and started looking on Prime to see what options were available. I really prefer Selmers and noticed a few models on there. While browsing, I spotted two different Selmer La Voix II altos in black nickel. One was a SAS280 (for $2,499.00), and the other was a SAS280R (for $2,299.00).
I'm having trouble figuring out the difference between the two (what the R designates at the end of the one alto). Would anyone know what this "R" at the end of the one model stands for?

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Well, you do know these are not Paris made Selmers, right? What you're referring to are actually Conn-Selmers made in Taiwan. Conn-Selmer also distributes the Paris Selmers here in the U.S.. Anyway, the price difference is based on the finish. But, if I was to buy a Conn-Selmer I would buy the AS42, it's rated as a pro model and it comes with a Paris neck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, you do know these are not Paris made Selmers, right? What you're referring to are actually Conn-Selmers made in Taiwan. Conn-Selmer also distributes the Paris Selmers here in the U.S.. Anyway, the price difference is based on the finish. But, if I was to buy a Conn-Selmer I would buy the AS42, it's rated as a pro model and it comes with a Paris neck.

Your reply honestly makes me feel better about what I did about an hour ago... lol I did an "eeny meeny miny moe" twice, and hit the same one both times. The two options I was now debating was the SAS280 and the Selmer AS42B (black nickel with silver keys). I decided to get the AS42B.
Thank you for the note about the non Paris information. I was aware of this, but it was still appreciated.
It's good to now feel like I made the right decision. I was also looking at a Selmer SAS711, but I know even less about that model.
Thank you again.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Your reply honestly makes me feel better about what I did about an hour ago... lol I did an "eeny meeny miny moe" twice, and hit the same one both times. The two options I was now debating was the SAS280 and the Selmer AS42B (black nickel with silver keys). I decided to get the AS42B.
Thank you for the note about the non Paris information. I was aware of this, but it was still appreciated.
It's good to now feel like I made the right decision. I was also looking at a Selmer SAS711, but I know even less about that model.
Thank you again.
Well, no need for thanks, as it's really just an opinion and I'm certainly not an expert. I can tell you I have a La Voix soprano and it's a nice horn but it doesn't come close to my YSS-82Z soprano. I usually take the La Voix with me when I travel and leave the expensive stuff at home. Anyway, Conn-Selmer makes quality stuff and I think you made a good choice.

When you get your new horn and if you have a tech that you usually go to, take your new horn in for an inspection. You may need to have some adjustments made as things can get out of whack during shipping, plus you may want to get it set up to your liking. Don't forget to give us a report and let us know how you like it. Good luck on your new acquisition.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thank you for the advice about the post-shipping adjustments. I'll definitely look into that.
I have the tenor version of your new horn, TS44. It definitely needed adjustments when I received it. I know if your new sax plays like my tenor, after making shipping adjustments, you will wonder why you waited so long!

Randy

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the tenor version of your new horn, TS44. It definitely needed adjustments when I received it. I know if your new sax plays like my tenor, after making shipping adjustments, you will wonder why you waited so long!

Randy
Do you remember what adjustments were needed after shipping?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts