Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,242 Posts

How do you feel about this?
Better than Delangle. At least this guy is playing the horn while he's wrecking it. What I saw from Delangle was also much more sparse, isolated and pretentious; which is why it appealed to my more humorous nature. Again, despite my moniker.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,253 Posts
That means either Selmer has provided the wrong specs for this mouthpiece, or Selmer's manufacturing QA is way off, since it should be only .065".
I'd suspect that Selmer's QA is waayyy off, as usual. I ordered two Concept clarinet mouthpieces and, while both played well, they played completely differently to one another. I sent one off to be refaced and I guess the stock tip measured 1.17 mm instead of the spec 1.10 mm.

Fortunately, the Bb clarinet Concepts don't carry the $100 premium in the US that the bass clarinet and saxophone mouthpieces do, so I could justify sending one away for refacing. It plays great now and I've spent a lot less than a boutique mouthpiece would cost, even with the reface. If I had spent $350 on a mouthpiece that came way out of whack like that, though, I'd be pretty pissed.

Is Selmer USA just screwing over their distributors here? Reminds me of what Shimano did in the bicycle world, where the North American distributor set really high wholesale prices and bike shops were expected to stock Shimano parts, but customers could order from stores in Europe for less than the wholesale price the distro was giving North American dealers.

Because I would guess that Kessler would sell it for $211 like Thomann does if they could.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Is Selmer USA just screwing over their distributors here? Reminds me of what Shimano did in the bicycle world, where the North American distributor set really high wholesale prices and bike shops were expected to stock Shimano parts, but customers could order from stores in Europe for less than the wholesale price the distro was giving North American dealers.
I guess so ... American companies, like Levi's, have been doing that to European customers for ages already, so Selmer probably learned from them :p

I have two Concept clarinet mouthpieces, and had one perfected (they played pretty comparable already out of the box, way more consistent than Vandoren pieces, in my experience). Interestingly, the one with the flattened and thinned rails plays great on my Buffet RC, while my R13 seems most happy with the unaltered one. In any case, my experience with both Selmer Concepts has been great. Easily replaced my previous Vandoren and Portnoy mouthpieces.

I tried the Focus as well, but I was less impressed with that. Too closed and stuffy for me.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
At this point in my life I'll never be as good a player as I was, but maybe, just maybe with a little practice I can still become one of the saxophone premier key tappers. LOL

BTW, I would be thrilled to see/hear percussion added tastefully to a classical piece. Its sort of like watching Leo P. play the baritone sax. Back in the hey day of Gerry Mulligan I'm pretty sure his dance moves would have been laughed at by some, but I think today he has carved out a new art form.

·
Registered
240 Posts

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Here's a review (perhaps "demo" would be a more accurate term) of the Delangle mouthpiece from sax.co.uk:

They employ their usual approach of never, ever having a classical player test any equipment, even horns or mouthpieces that are designed by their manufacturers with the classical market in mind. :( They also tend to be reluctant to say anything significantly negative about the products they demonstrate, since their ultimate goal is sales, not disinterested commentary. The best thing about this video is that Jim Cheek is playing a black lacquer Series III Jubilee alto, which is clearly the horn of choice. :)

The mouthpiece review from thesaxophonist.org is a bit more systematic and objectively oriented, although the way the reviewer describes the mouthpiece's playability discourages me from trying one (especially given the high price):

·
Registered
240 Posts
You spoke my mind. It seems like they just review the mouthpiece by having the same player play the same old style and never bring in someone who can really demonstrate the ability of a mouthpiece. Never offer any criticism or offer any type of solid information about its application. It is directed mainly as a classical mouthpiece and they should have the resources to be able to get a actual good contemporary player to demonstrate their products.

Here's a review (perhaps "demo" would be a more accurate term) of the Delangle mouthpiece from sax.co.uk:

They employ their usual approach of never, ever having a classical player test any equipment, even horns or mouthpieces that are designed by their manufacturers with the classical market in mind. :( They also tend to be reluctant to say anything significantly negative about the products they demonstrate, since their ultimate goal is sales, not disinterested commentary. The best thing about this video is that Jim Cheek is playing a black lacquer Series III Jubilee alto, which is clearly the horn of choice. :)

The mouthpiece review from thesaxophonist.org is a bit more systematic and objectively oriented, although the way the reviewer describes the mouthpiece's playability discourages me from trying one (especially given the high price):

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,023 Posts
Just a reminder...
The Concept matches the (not listed) Selmer S80 B* of the past.
The Delangle is slightly more open... and quite different inside the chamber (no... I'm not talking about the brass thing, the floor slope has nothing to share with the Concept).

Back in the day, Selmer pieces were so good in terms of finishing. They were not "hit or miss", but at Selmer they lacked some QC.
But, despite how well the mouthpiece were finished (and how bad, in average, the tip and rails were finished) the mouthpiece were designed for less resistance than the "new" (Post Concept Selmers).
Now the tip and rails are overly thick... this leads to resistance.

The Concept can be not that freeblowing as most classical players can expect from a very very very very closed mouthpiece (it's somewhat closer than the Vandoren AL3/AP3).

Metrical system: 1" = 25,4mm.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=mm+to+inch

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
Kessler & Sons just received 4 of these in stock today. I almost bought from a collector's perspective, but I just couldn't justify the expense.

·
Registered
Alto
16 Posts
So I have the claude delangle mouthpiece. I actually went from the s80 c* to the CD. I noticed my ligature seems to be a little too big for it, has anyone else noticed that? Does anyone know what kind of ligature would work well with it? I have the regular 2 screw mouthpiece, nothing fancy. I think I may have stretched it out on a previous mouthpiece when I was first learning and tightened it way too much. Bit anyway, any suggestions on ligatures would help.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,023 Posts
A fitting Rovner?
Different Rovner's models provide different feel and sound: so the choice is up to you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So I have the claude delangle mouthpiece. I actually went from the s80 c* to the CD. I noticed my ligature seems to be a little too big for it, has anyone else noticed that? Does anyone know what kind of ligature would work well with it? I have the regular 2 screw mouthpiece, nothing fancy. I think I may have stretched it out on a previous mouthpiece when I was first learning and tightened it way too much. Bit anyway, any suggestions on ligatures would help.
It has a smaller chamber then the other classical mouthpiece.. you can just use a clarinet lig on it

41 - 57 of 57 Posts