Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Kessler's is now listing the Delangle mouthpiece at $324.75 (not yet in stock; full retail price supposedly $500). https://www.kesslerandsons.com/product/selmer-paris-claude-delangle-alto-sax-mouthpiece/. As I suspected, this piece has crossed the line from mass-market pricing into boutique classical alto mouthpiece pricing, at least in the United States. I'd bet that a portion of the price increase over the standard alto Concept's price is based on Selmer's assessment of what the market will bear, after the introduction of the Theo Wanne and Chedeville classical mouthpieces.

Claude Delangle is going to set a record for the most mouthpiece endorsements available simultaneously on YouTube. :) He's still up there the touting the Vandoren Optimum and then the original Concept.
I received the announcement from Conn-Selmer, as I'm on their Artist list. Pricing info from the email...

Attachments

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,661 Posts
I've played one. It was in the shop about 2 months ago. Cool piece. Tip opening is big, we measured it at .072 in the shop. It almost plays like a jazz piece! A lot of flexibility and color.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,607 Posts
I've played one. It was in the shop about 2 months ago. Cool piece. Tip opening is big, we measured it at .072 in the shop.
That means either Selmer has provided the wrong specs for this mouthpiece, or Selmer's manufacturing QA is way off, since it should be only .065".

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,661 Posts
That means either Selmer has provided the wrong specs for this mouthpiece, or Selmer's manufacturing QA is way off, since it should be only .065".
Not sure. This one was definitely much more open than that. It was not a for sale piece and came through with the Selmer reps.

I will measure more when we get our stock.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hard words for a fine and well known classical player ....
I've seen him perform live at least a couple times now. I like the guy... but when he started to tap and click on his horn in the middle of a song... I'm sorry, I just burst out laughing. It was funny.
Nice work, laughing at a serious performance with a serious performer. What are you doing at a concert hall anyway? Go practice or go get some manners.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,561 Posts
Slap tonguing is also a percussive saxophone technique. It's not "good tone" in the traditional sense, nor is it normal embouchure technique. But the effect is interesting, and adds powerful accents. Key percussion works the same way.
Once about 25 years ago I got to see and hear David Murray play an entire lengthy solo only slap-tonguing on bass clarinet. Yes it was incredible.

·
Registered
122 Posts
That kind of stuff is usually the composer's choice, not the performer's. Contemporary classical compositions make use of a number of "extended techniques," and sometimes percussion is called for. (I've seen a cool sax quartet performance with massive foot stomps.) This is not unique to saxophones, of course. Percussion is relatively common in classical guitar pieces, partly because of flamenco influence, I suppose. "Prepared piano" (sticking objects in the strings) is another example.

Slap tonguing is also a percussive saxophone technique. It's not "good tone" in the traditional sense, nor is it normal embouchure technique. But the effect is interesting, and adds powerful accents. Key percussion works the same way.
I often employ squeaks, honks and wrong notes to express myself.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Only in that I'd hate to pay for it...
Do you respect it at all? Coming from your name and your response, it seems like you don't respect the artistic approach, which I think would be an issue.

You don't have to do anything, obviously, but isn't the honest pursuit of an art something to be respected, but not enjoyed/loved? I can't fault you for laughing at an unexpected extended technique, but it ain't your thing. Does that make it invalid?

*shrug* To each their own, but throwing shade at someone who is honest and skilled is uncalled for. Personally, I find much of the extended techniques for classical a bit much until I'm in the room and then the energy they convey make sense. Still, I'd take a less technique-heavy solo to listen to 90% of the time.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,527 Posts
No it doesn't. Slap tonguing involves actually playing the saxophone. Not clicking keys when your mouth ain't even on the horn.

I don't care if some composer wrote it that way, or the artist decides to click their keys in lieu of actually playing the horn... it's simply ridiculous in my view and I'll laugh out loud accordingly when I come across it.
Master guitarist Tommy Emmanuel uses percussion, slapping and rapping, on his guitar to make quite interesting music. I like it and a lot of others do too. To each his own. Why not extend the instrument to another level. [video]https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tommy+emmanuel+percussion+guitar&&view=detail&mid=9A13ADD9B87FBE82C6F29A13ADD9B87FBE82C6F2&rvsmid=

AD183BBCE760F84CAACEAD183BBCE760F84CAACE&FORM=VDRVRV[/video]

Do you enjoy any "free jazz?"
Nope, not my thing.
Do you respect it at all? Coming from your name and your response, it seems like you don't respect the artistic approach, which I think would be an issue.

You don't have to do anything, obviously, but isn't the honest pursuit of an art something to be respected, but not enjoyed/loved? I can't fault you for laughing at an unexpected extended technique, but it ain't your thing. Does that make it invalid?

*shrug* To each their own, but throwing shade at someone who is honest and skilled is uncalled for. Personally, I find much of the extended techniques for classical a bit much until I'm in the room and then the energy they convey make sense. Still, I'd take a less technique-heavy solo to listen to 90% of the time.
I'm not sure why you care about what some guy on an internet forum thinks about art. He's entitled to his opinion.

Why do I feel I need to come to Grumps' defense? I don't know. Maybe because it seems like there is a lot of tension in the air lately and maybe we should just chill. People are allowed to disagree. At least that's how it's been all of my life here in the good ol' USA. It seems like there's a movement going on behind the scenes to shut down any discussion one side doesn't agree with.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice work, laughing at a serious performance with a serious performer. What are you doing at a concert hall anyway? Go practice or go get some manners.
I like it when they light their horns on fire and then howl.

That is some serious playing. Very innovative performance.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,255 Posts
I can't fault you for laughing at an unexpected extended technique, but it ain't your thing. Does that make it invalid?
I just thought that it was funny. I still think it's funny. Actually, it's quite ridiculous. Foolish even. The silliest thing I'd ever seen in a supposed classical setting. Outrageously funny. Uproariously so. In fact, I'm chuckling a bit right now, despite my moniker. That's how incredibly amusing it all is to me. Tapping on a saxophone... oh my. :lol:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Do you remember which piece was so funny?

·
Registered
438 Posts
I just thought that it was funny. I still think it's funny. Actually, it's quite ridiculous. Foolish even. The silliest thing I'd ever seen in a supposed classical setting. Outrageously funny. Uproariously so. In fact, I'm chuckling a bit right now, despite my moniker. That's how incredibly amusing it all is to me. Tapping on a saxophone... oh my. :lol:

How do you feel about this?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Master guitarist Tommy Emmanuel uses percussion, slapping and rapping, on his guitar to make quite interesting music. I like it and a lot of others do too. To each his own. Why not extend the instrument to another level. [video]https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=tommy+emmanuel+percussion+guitar&&view=detail&mid=9A13ADD9B87FBE82C6F29A13ADD9B87FBE82C6F2&rvsmid=

AD183BBCE760F84CAACEAD183BBCE760F84CAACE&FORM=VDRVRV[/video]

Nope, not my thing.

I'm not sure why you care about what some guy on an internet forum thinks about art. He's entitled to his opinion.

Why do I feel I need to come to Grumps' defense? I don't know. Maybe because it seems like there is a lot of tension in the air lately and maybe we should just chill. People are allowed to disagree. At least that's how it's been all of my life here in the good ol' USA. It seems like there's a movement going on behind the scenes to shut down any discussion one side doesn't agree with.
And why do I need to come to the defense of the artist being mocked? Because I have been that artist (and the mocker) and seek understanding.

Also, not sure what gave you the idea that we weren't having a discussion.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts