Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
New member here. I tried to start a new thread but the forum wouldn’t let me. Thread topic seems similar.

Has anyone seen an unengraved Balance Action like this one? No engraving and it has the serial number stamped on the bell.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
New member here. I tried to start a new thread but the forum wouldn’t let me. Thread topic seems similar.

Has anyone seen an unengraved Balance Action like this one? No engraving and it has the serial number stamped on the bell.
Pretty common with Eruo-Assembled Selmers.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Pretty common with Eruo-Assembled Selmers.
Thanks, I didn’t realize that.

I scoured the web and didn’t find a similar horn, so I emailed the SaxQuest folks earlier and they sent me a pic of one they had ten years ago. They commented it was rare but not unheard of...

I was also curious what you guys thought since there is such a large collective of knowledge and horn ownership on here.

I guess Selmer wasnt turning out that many horns in France the months leading up to the German invasion.

I really like the sound of the horn and had bought it for my six year old to step up to in the next few years. I think I’ll keep this one for myself and buy him a yani. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
engraving was an option as even the case was .

Anyway member Douglas Pipher would be able to tell you exactly how the horn was when it left the factory

By the way, thumbnails expand by clicking on them. You can publish larger pictures by hosting them outside the forum and pasting the URL in the appropriate photo attachment box which opens after going “ advanced” and clicking on the projection screen icon.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My BA is an earlier serial number 22xxx and it's located on the back of the body, not the bell. Is this another difference between US and euro horns? I know earlier models had the serial number on the bell as well so it's interesting that it would switch locations.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
462 Posts
My BA is an earlier serial number 22xxx and it's located on the back of the body, not the bell. Is this another difference between US and euro horns? I know earlier models had the serial number on the bell as well so it's interesting that it would switch locations.
Mine is also a 22xxx, and presumably a euro model, and yours is presumably a US model. Mine also has the s/n on the back below the thumbrest. I suspect that the serial numbers were stamped in France for all models. Does yours have the sailboat engraving? Mine is engraved, but not the sailboat.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Mine is also a 22xxx, and presumably a euro model, and yours is presumably a US model. Mine also has the s/n on the back below the thumbrest. I suspect that the serial numbers were stamped in France for all models. Does yours have the sailboat engraving? Mine is engraved, but not the sailboat.
Yes, I have the sailboat engraving on the bell. My understanding is that the serial numbers and logo were stamped in France and then the engraving done in the US (or also done in France for the Euro models).

I think it's interesting though that the serial number is on the bell on Lester71's BA, seeing that all BA's I've seen and later models like the SBA and MK VI have the number on the back of the body. Wonder who/why decided to do a design change on that one.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
462 Posts
Yes, I have the sailboat engraving on the bell. My understanding is that the serial numbers and logo were stamped in France and then the engraving done in the US (or also done in France for the Euro models).

I think it's interesting though that the serial number is on the bell on Lester71's BA, seeing that all BA's I've seen and later models like the SBA and MK VI have the number on the back of the body. Wonder who/why decided to do a design change on that one.
Yes, I think the Sailboat engraving is restricted to US imports.
I think Douglas Pipher is the man who can explain the serial number position question. I suppose it could be random.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Folks, to clarify my horn has the serial number stamped in both locations... back lower body tube and on the bell. Luckily they match. ;-)

Does anyone know if the SBA and BA use the same neck? An old friend of mine just offered to send me a SBA neck that he has sitting around.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,847 Posts
I understand that the BA had series of different runs and of adaptations. Not quite so much in the SBA.

Wether the SBA neck would be an “ improvement” on your BA remains to be seen.

sba

BA

BA

1 - 14 of 14 Posts