Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a weird little piece here that I don't know much about, and figured I would ask the SOTW community for some feedback. Anybody know anything about this piece?

It says "Selmer" in the same script as on the Paris horns on top of the shank, and "Made in England" on the bottom. There is also a serial on the side, A00555. There is some odd decorative stuff on it, looks like ff on the side and 40ff40 on top. This is an alto piece, and it measures .082. It has a long straight baffle that drops off in the chamber, and the sidewalls are half straight (upper 1/4", from siderails), half concave (starting about 1/2" from tip 1/4" down from siderails, and going back into the chamber). The chamber is the same size as the shank bore. On the bottom of the shank right behind the table, there are three hatch marks next to a 5, which is offset from center. The piece is brass, looks like maybe a thin layer of gold plating on it too.

Pictures:

Any info would be appreciated! I apologize in advance if I don't respond much in the thread past Saturday, I will be out of town. Thanks!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I thought that some of the Mk VI's that had a not-normal color scheme were made in england. maybe i am wrong on this one, but if some of them were made in england, this could've come with a VI.

·
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting theory, but its probably far more likely that these were just a model made by (or for) the distributor of Selmer products at one time. I wouldn't be surprised if there were other mouthpieces that had the same blank out there, but with different names.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
I had a tenor version which didn't have a serial number but carried the same markings and shape.
A close lay #4,
it looked like the ligature was original to the piece with a thumb screw underneath in otto link style.

I'm not one for close lay mouthpieces and the overal effect for me was stuffy with out power.
A friend of mine loved it and that was that!

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
Selmer Paris 6,7,SA80 & Couf S1s
3,621 Posts
prob an older Selmer USA mpc

Selmer Paris mpc *should* always have the Selmer paris wreath on them. I haven't seen one without it, though I know I haven't seen them all either

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,484 Posts
It does look like it could be a modified link blank... maybe that explains that link style lig.

·
3,621 Posts
the biteplate really makes it look linkish. the rest looks like a brass mpc

FYI - the wreath on Paris mpc - always except the first metal mpc which had the Selmer script name on it

·
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
prob an older Selmer USA mpc
Steve, I think I have to disagree with that. Selmer USA is a different company (and has been) from Selmer Paris, and they have no facilities in England. If Selmer USA wanted a mouthpiece made, they would probably look no further than Babbitt, which is right down the street- and this is what they have done in the past. And even then, it would have to say Selmer USA on it since that is the name of the company. Believe me, Selmer Paris would make SURE of that- the two companies don't exactly even get along, and Selmer Paris does not want anyone confusing the two.

If this mouthpiece was actually made by Selmer (and not outsourced to another company, which is my guess) it would be a Selmer Paris facility in England, which should then say "Selmer Paris", right? My guess is it is the work of a distributor (who could have outsourced it or done it themselves) based in England sometime between 1954-1980, not the work of Selmer Paris (or Selmer USA) themselves.

The piece plays very nicely. Very powerful, lots of projection, rich (and loud) sound. I've played it myself and let two other people playtest it and they both wanted to buy it, but I am holding on to it until I can at least figure out what it is.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I sent an email with a link to the pictures to "my guy" at Selmer, Paris.

He said that this mouthpiece was made by the English distributor of Selmer, and that it is not a Selmer, Paris, product. Vincent Bach International is the English distributor for Selmer.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I have a similar one, which turned up in a box of clarinet mouthpieces and bits (Eb and Bb clarinets ) I grabbed off ebay
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?t=82306

There was supposedly a Henri Selmer London Limited company
from 1950 thru to late 1960's / early to mid seventies

Found it
http://www.donmack.com/SelmerSaxophones/SelmerLondon.htm
from this link
"Selmer London was evetually sold to Norlin USA in the 80's"

THE STORY OF HENRI SELMER & COMPANY IN THE UNITED KINGDOM
http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/gallery/gallery3/stor.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_Davis_(Selmer)
http://www.petethomas.co.uk/saxophone-embouchure.html

·
3,621 Posts
Steve, I think I have to disagree with that. Selmer USA is a different company (and has been) from Selmer Paris,
I never said they were the *same* company, because they aren't :?

never knew there was a Selmer UK ......

·
Registered
3,576 Posts

·
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very cool.

Based on this thread, I've had a few people in the years since call me to ask if I still have it. I do not.

I'm also completely blown away that the photos are still hosted going on 4 years now at a free image hosting site. If they are still up when you read this, better download them if you want to have them available in the future.

·
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh and I've also heard the baffle was soldered in! With lead-bearing solder? Maybe.

And that this one was not "three has marks" as I said, but it would have been marked E5. Apparently there was also a D. Not sure what the difference is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,775 Posts
I'm a year late to this thread.

I remember playing Matt's Selmer "England" back when he worked in NYC. I don't think I realised back then that is is the Bird mouthpiece from his Super 20 days. Anyway, I remember that the mouthpiece wasn't very good. Actually, it sucked, but mostly because it didn't have a good facing. It may have had potential and it might be worth exploring if I could acquire one cheaply. As we must all know by now, they are quite rare indeed and not because they are in high demand but because (and I'm just assuming) there weren't many of these things made. So, if anyone finds one, buy it-have it refaced to .085 or so, and send it to me.

Alto only.:bluewink:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts