Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found these on a dealer's webisite. Does anyone have experience with this case? Would you recommend/not recommend? According to the description, they only work for removeable neck sopranos.

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I went to the U.S. Navy Band Sax Symposium a few years ago, I noted that Jean-Pierre Baragioli had one. I asked him about it and he liked it a lot since he pretty much brings both horns everywhere he plays. I was thinking about one also, but nowadays I almost always have an only alto or only soprano gig. Enjoy.

·
14,268 Posts
I'd recommend against ANY multi-instrument case because of the weight. Carry them any distance and you'll think your carry-arm has been lengthened six inches. I find it much easier to carry three separate and lighter cases than one packed with three (or two) horns. Plus, three separates pack more easily in car trunks. DAVE

·
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dave, Thanks for the insight. Generally, I do not like multi instrument cases. The only reason I am considering, is that I have some alto/soprano gigs this summer after work, where I need to bring the instruments with me. Due to the heat and lack of parking lot security, I bring them in with me (along with a briefcase/laptop, and thought 2 bags would be easier to carry than 3 for the 2 block walk, 4 story climb.

Now that you've heard my sob story - change your mind any?

·
14,268 Posts
rdf2: No. Separate cases are lighter and easier to handle than one big one, at least that's been my experience over the years.

I carry three horns to gigs . . . sop sax, clarinet, and alto. I can easily carry all three (my clarinet bag, which is a camera bag containing my clarinet case, multi-stand, pegs, and a lyrics' book, has a shoulder strap on it). On some occasions, I may even bring a second soprano and can handle four cases easier than one big one.

I've posted this before, but I carried a three-horn custom-built case around the Sacramento Jubilee one year and thought I'd lose my arm! Didn't feel like much when I started out, but OH MY was I sore by the time I reached any destination . . . and I don't have physical problems (mental maybe . . .). DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
2,574 Posts
I owned one of these cases when I still played straight soprano, and found it manageable. The case is so light that, with 2 instruments in it it feels like a standard wood case with just an alto. I had no problems with it at all.

However, a friend of mine has dumped his saxes twice for some reason. He picks it up thinking it's zipped..... So I guess that would be something to be extra careful about -or maybe never pick it up by just one handle.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Saxus Envious Curmudgeon
3,860 Posts
Dave is right, a double case is very heavy.
I use an Ortola, which has maximum protection and accessory space for such a light case.

The Selmer case is in fact a semi-hard case, and I wouldn't dare use it. The Ortola has a hard shell, and is based on the BAM design....and cheaper.

·
2,574 Posts
There is nothing whatsoever wrong with the Selmer/Bam double case for general around-town use.

I wouldn't tour with it, though.

In your situation, why don't you just lock the laptop up at work for those nights. If you are going to be playing a gig, it's not like you are going to go home and feel like opening up the laptop, is it? I know I wouldn't. That way you still only carry 2 cases and save $$$.

·
3,860 Posts
AW, I am assuming we are talking about the BAM produced case, and if we are, push in a bit on any of the sides of the case and they give substantially because there is no hard shell around the foam. Hence, semi-hard.

That makes it just slightly a bit better than a gig bag in a collision or hard bump with anything or a fall during daily use. We have all had those strap clips suddenly pop loose on our cases....:cry:

That is something.

Not talking about touring here.;)

I would no more put my horn in a semi-hard case for carrying it to community band in my car that I would put it in a soft gig bag.

Accidents do happen.

·
3,860 Posts
FWIW:
I did a side-by-side comparison of the Double Selmer BAM, Ortola, and a Global (Japanese produced hard case, no longer in production):

1. Global case was the winner for safety. Loser on cost.
2. Ortola case for space, cost, safety, and features.
3. The very clear loser was the Selmer because of the protection problem and cost.

·
2,574 Posts
<debate mode>
While I do not dispute that there could be a "protection problem" with any case, you have cast your opinion as fact without evidence. Does the SmartCar offer any protection in a crash? I would have sworn not until I saw it crash-tested by on the Discovery Channel last week.

It would also be prudent to mention that Ortola and Global double cases are largely unavailable in the US. I have also not seen any evidence that tells us the Ortola or Global are any less dangerous in a crash. For comparison, I'd look at the comments here about the much-maligned Walt Johnson bari case, which is as sustantially constructed as the Ortola, but which has been blamed repeatedly for instrument damage.

Also I think I recall that you are a proponent of the Gator GL, which also has no hard shell around the foam, at least that's what I gleaned from your "Gator Cases!" thread. If no hard shell is the main problem, why is this case ok? My sense was that it would crumble like a styrofoam drink cooler on impact, though I didn't test it.

</debate mode>

All that said, the original poster doesn't need another case. He needs to leave his laptop locked up at work and enjoy his gig.

·
3,860 Posts
Dearest aw,
Re-read the post:D

I speak from authority, as I have done a side by side with three varieties of double case- two which I own and one that I considered until I saw how bad it was (that's the Selmer).

The Global case is no longer produced (as I wrote before, but you seemed to not comprehend) and was never available in the USA. The Ortola is produced and available, but it is true that it is not easy to find.

If you want to debate, you will learn quickly that an apples and oranges debate is fruitless ;) (pun intended)

A car and a case?? These kind of comparisons are silly, at best.

While this thread is not about Gator cases, try to press in the sides of the Gator case- it won't give at all, while the Selmer BAM double case does.

Back on topic now....

·
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To awholley

awholley said:
All that said, the original poster doesn't need another case. He needs to leave his laptop locked up at work and enjoy his gig.
I appreciate your concern for my quality of life outside the office, however, it is a requirement of my position to always have it with me... :|

·
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And back on Topic

Thanks to everyone for their input. I want to make sure that I understand the terminology used by examples (I am not "technically" proficient when it comes to accessories.)

What's throwing me are the descriptions of the Selmer Light case as semi hard-let me make some comparisons of cases that I do have:

Selmer Vanguard-the black case that comes with the Series II's (or at least used to) -this is a hard case

Yanigasawa black cases that come with current horns-also a hard case

The Keilwerth Saxmover case-comes with new KW's (not the silver plastic bullitt case) has a nylon exterior, over hard walls that I can't push in-considered a hard case or not?

And lastly-the Pro Tec Pro Pak Gig case-just like the KW, although shaped like a "flight case"-so a hard case??

SO...the Selmer light is NOT like the KW and the Pro Tec???

Thanks for the tutorial....

·
14,268 Posts
rdf2: Semantics can always screw up general info, I agree. I am not an expert in those matters.

Just a word, though about Yanagisawa's black, leather-like-covered cases. They may appear hard, but the seam where the top half meets the bottom half is NOT resistant to pressure. I learned the hard way with my SC902. DAVE

·
2,574 Posts
Randall said:
Dearest aw,
Re-read the post:D

If you want to debate, you will learn quickly that an apples and oranges debate is fruitless ;) (pun intended)

A car and a case?? These kind of comparisons are silly, at best.

Back on topic now....
I agree to butt out of this thread after I make a response here.

1) I did indeed see on first read that the Global cases were no longer made and not distributed in the US. The same is true for Berkeley, though they did have some minor US distribution, but they can still be had if you look hard enough. I was allowing for a similar possibility.

2) The comparison was not about cars and cases, and I am surprised the point needs to be spelled out. The point from the car anecdote was to illustrate how easy it is to make a mistaken judgement about protectiveness based on appearances rather than empirical data. Are you mistaken? I don't know. Perhaps you are right on the money, but I have seen no proof, anecdotal or otherwise. There are thousands of cases (single-horn) with the exact same construction out there in daily use, but I hear no call for them to all be thrown away.

3) The double case I owned was reliable, lightweight and problem-free, and I used it regularly for about 2 years in situations similar to that described in the original post. Note that I have not cast any aspersions on the cases which you own. I have no doubt that they could be better than the Selmer. They simply are not readily available options.

·
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
awholley said:
Oh, and I am enjoying the rehersals. I haven't played with a group since 1995, and now wondering how I could have stayed away so long. That being said, it is a little frustrating when that 20-something that I could "smoke" in the past is smoking me, but only very slightly.

I guess once competitive, always competitve?:D

·
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the tutorial

Was hoping someone would reply to the long post above about hard vs. soft vs. Selmer Light case..Randall...???

Thanks again,

·
3,860 Posts
ed, I can understand your confusion.

Lets get away from company produced names....

There are several degrees of hard case out there.

1. Some molded foam cases are made of thick and very hard foam and then have a layer of nylon or similar materials put over them. They are usually very stable, safe cases, but not as safe as a "hard" case made from wood with a wooden lid.
I do NOT call these "semi hard" cases because they do not really give when pressed upon. They can give if too much weight is put upon them, especially in the lid area.

2. Then you have some cases that I DO call "semi hard". These cases are made of thick foam that upon first look and touch seems solid, but these can be pushed in with a little pressure. These are also covered in nylon or similar materials, ocassionally shiny plastic. The Selmer double case is in this category.

3. Then you have "hard" cases that are made of the thick foam and are covered with a wood or fiberglass or an ABS shell. These come in a variety of shapes and configurations. Pro-tec, Hiscox etc...

The Keilwerth saxmover would be category #1.

I think you are on the money in your post above.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts