Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Selmer classic. I have been thinking of getting either a piece that is brighter than my Runyon Custom Spoiler or more mellow than my S-80E. I saw a note that WWBW was closing out their stock of wide Selmer Classics at a discont of 1/3 so I bought one. I have written this type off as too expensive. But the discount brought it down into my range. The piece arrived today. I tried to play this afternoon for and hour and a half and this evening for an hour. I think it is defective. I get plenty of squeaks and can barely play between G1 and G2.

A little over a year ago I did a trial of Supersessions starting with F, G and I. I liked them all a fair amount and could play them over the entire range of the horn. It took me a while to choose between the I and the F. I liked all but the two extremes were the most interesting. I ended up keeping the F because it had the fuller sound. The I was a bit too much like a trumpet.

So I thought the G Classic would be a little wide but not beyond what I could handle, though I would have preferred the F size which WWBW did not have. But this thing was just plain strange. After trying out those Super Sessions last year I also bought a Rousseau Studio Jazz 6 and a Runyon Custom Spoiler. The Runyon is the same outer diameter as the Classic so I am not troubled by that. (The Runyon is one of my present favorites.) I had worked exclusively with the Super Session F the last few days thinking the step up to the G would be no big deal. I found out again how nice the SS is.

But the Classic gave me trouble from the start. It seemed very sensitive to reed placement. I was using the Rovner Dark that I ordered for use with the Classic. I tried my favorite reed - ZZ 2.0, then I tried ZZ 2.5 and V-16 2.5. None of them helped though the 2.0 ZZ was best when I did get a decent tone with extra effort. below G1 the notes would often break up. Above G2 they would give some weird upper harmonics - squeaks. I tried briefly the metal lig Selmer supplied being careful not to scratch the piece. It did not help. I found a tone and slightly increased the range when I put the Rovner lig half off the back of the reed. But it still was not right.

Close inspection of the piece showed that it has large slope for a baffle from higgh to very low. Measuring with a reed held butt-end down into the piece next to a rail, At one reed width back from the tip, the depth is about the same as my S-80 and less than the SS. The Runyon with sppoiler is much shallower.

But what I see as a defect is the section between the rails. It is very rounded rather than cut straight into the material and is uneven. The rounding on the right is much sharper than on the left side.

It may be possible for someone to fix this. But I don't even know if this will be the right piece for me when fixed. After paying even 2/3 normal price for this piece, I would not want to pay someone to fix it.

So it goes back unless someone comes up with an idea for something I have missed.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,031 Posts
Are you talking about the metal? If so, I never could get those things to respond event though I use Selmers all the time. I like the SS followed by the S-80. I would like to try the S-90 for soprano sometime.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,888 Posts
They are very good mouthpieces, but they have become very inconsistent in the past ten years. I don't know if it's poor quality control or if the machinery is just breaking down (they've made them for over 70 years now!). It sounds like a trip to the refacer will be in order.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
I would recommend you try a harder reed before blowing the piece off. The harder the better, 3.5 minimum up to a 5-and swallow the piece, don't play the tip of the piece.- lig set right at the bottom of the window. I've found through decades of blowing the sweet little thing that the biggest tip with the hardest reed gives the best response, control, tone and intonation. I have tried all the Selmer sop mpc incarnations and they aren't for me but they do sound good for the folks that like them. Most of us cannot diagnose mpc deficiencies by sight.
I use an RPC .090 with a #5 reed. When I first started using this piece I was using 2.5 DCs and experiencing what I thought were mechanical problems with the horn(your G problem) turned out the problem was solved by stepping up the reed strength.

·
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was amazed at how difficult it was to make ANY repeated sound like a few notes in a row with that piece. It took great effort. It probably could be fixed by a talented resurfacer. But I won't be paying for that. I returned the piece. The only benefit I got out of this is that the Rovner lig I bought for the Selmer Classic, a model 1MS, works great with my Runyon Custom. It is more flexible than the original 1RXS lig and gives a nice full and louder sound. I plan on sticking with the two main pieces I've been using. They make great sounds. The Runyon is now even better.

If any of you are adventurous, this piece should be back in the inventory of WWBW in a week or ten days.

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
They are very inconsistent. So if one guys says they are great and the other says they are junk, they are both right.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Very true!! I played a bunch of them side by side from different outlets, maybe 6-7 and picked a great one!!! hard reed is the ticket, get the sweetest sounds out of this mp.

I have moved to an older Yani metal recently, play's louder( primary reason for change) but missing the sweetness and complexity of the metal selmer classic!! maybe time for a revisit :)

·
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
The mouthpiece I tried has been returned to the WWBW warehouse. It should be listed in their inventory in a day or two. It is the only G model they have. While I had it on trial, they showed only the C* and E sizes (priced at $199 and $209) for that model mouthpiece. It is called the "Selmer Classic" but the official name is "Selmer Par M401G SSax Mpc". There is an "07" written on the side of the box in red ballpoint ink. This item was priced at $129.95.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Could this difference in quality be due to the vintage ones having round chambers (just like the hard rubber models) as compared to the "arch" shaped chambers of the current-production ones?

Any Selmer metal sop mpc experts here?

·
Registered
8,975 Posts
In my opinion, it is due to the quality of the facing curve finishing. Ugly chambers can play great with good facings.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,888 Posts
adriancwm said:
Could this difference in quality be due to the vintage ones having round chambers (just like the hard rubber models) as compared to the "arch" shaped chambers of the current-production ones?

Any Selmer metal sop mpc experts here?
They all have round chambers. Selmer made a "jazz" model with an arch chamber but the metal Classics have always had round chambers.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts

·
1,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There was only one piece at the low price in size G at WWBW. The catalog said that bit about the arched chamber and the shipment including a silver cap and lig. There was a simple 2-scree brass lig and no cap. The chamber was round. In place of a cap, there was a peculiar thing that slid onto the bottom of the piece over the screws of the lig with a slight lip to protect the reed. It would not keep a reed from drying out.

WWBW received mine on Wednesday and ackowledge receipt on Thursday saying they were crediting my account for the price minus $3.50 for cleaning. The piece has not yet shown up in their inventory.

Incidentally, while they were closing out the G model, they are still carrying the C* and E size. They had those on hand for $210 and $200 respectively when I ordered mine, but, sold them. Now those two sizes are on order. Maybe Selmer has more quality control problems with the G size.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,978 Posts
Tom Goodrick said:
In place of a cap, there was a peculiar thing that slid onto the bottom of the piece over the screws of the lig with a slight lip to protect the reed. It would not keep a reed from drying out.
I never got the hang of that. Just what I want to do during a set break... split my reed with that contraption. A Rovner Dark (with regular cap) works well on mine though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts