Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this selmer classic E soprano mouthpiece used more than 10 years ago. When I first got it, was told that it is an older/vintage piece, so my guess put it around 20~30 years. Do we have any ways to determine roughly how long it were? And also any idea of the value?

Attachments

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,438 Posts
Alex: I'm thinking WAY older than 30 years ago. I have a hard-rubber Selmer soprano piece of the same outside appearance (some call it an Airflow, others call it a Soloist-style; it is not marked SOLOIST), that I bought new in 1957. I think yours dates to the same era, although when it was made is anyone's guess.

Value? I think they are highly regarded, but that is subjective. Value can only be determined after someone is willing to pay the asking price. Finding that someone is the difficult part. DAVE

·
Registered
VI Soprano, Searchlight Alto, TH&C Tenor
1,371 Posts
i really wanted "Coltrane's Piece" a couple of years back, and bought a new one online, only to discover that it was too narrow to use with the Legere reed. (sent it back.) i assume the older ones are the same dimensions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,149 Posts
Joe Viola played this type of mouthpiece in a C** or D. Sometimes metal, other times hard rubber. He had a Huge sound that just sang in all registers.

·
Registered
5,913 Posts
I got this selmer classic E soprano mouthpiece used more than 10 years ago. When I first got it, was told that it is an older/vintage piece, so my guess put it around 20~30 years. Do we have any ways to determine roughly how long it were? And also any idea of the value?
It looks like it's from the 70's. These are great mouthpieces with the right kind of work done to them otherwise not so great. You're better of with a rubber Selmer. Phil Barone

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for the response. I am currently considering to sell it. Any thought of the fair value for it?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not too familiar with Legere, but I'm using Forestone reed on it and is ok. Of course the table is narrower as seen in the photo, but the reed the tip fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts