Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a chance to play a few bari saxes the other day, and thought I write about it. My main bari is a selmer series II, though I recently aquired a King super 20 (low Bb). While having the king worked on, I had a chance to play a MK VI low Bb, and a Cannonball black stone model and the cannonball brute model. The Mk VI really sounded nice, but there is a difference from low Bb to low A. I like th Bb sound. I liked the sound of the brute model over the black model, and especially liked the thin walled neck compared to the standard neck. It had a brighter sound, more like the low Bb bari. The cannonballs, especially the brute, are very, very nice. Ergonomics are good. The horn felt solid. keys were not soft.

Compared to the Series II, The sound of the selmer was more focused, and I am used to that sound, and like it. Intonation is good on all horns. They all played easily from a low whisper to a honk?, The selmers and brute and King could sound pretty. The MK VI need some work and was expensive. IF I were looking for a low A bari, the brute would be great. The black model did not excite me. The Selmers and Cannonballs have much better ergonomics than the King. But I use the King for rock work, and that is usually not too complicated playing. The king has a much different, fuller sound, and perhaps that is from it being only low Bb. I haven't played enough baris to know the different sounds. The low Bb is also much lighter to carry. (I like that) The selmer is heavy.

smf

1 - 1 of 1 Posts