Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

How would you compare the Selmer C against Vandoren's Optimum AL4 for classical playing?

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
Square French classical. :D

I find the S80's to be overly bright without a lot of harmonic richness. I think that the Vandoren AL4 has a slightly less bright tone and more harmonic richness.

·
Registered
323 Posts
A few months ago I compared the AL4 with my stock S80 C*. I have always used Vandoren Traditional #3 on the C*, so I tried the AL4 with these reeds. While I found the AL4 provided a very nice resistance, I ended up sticking with my C*. The AL4 seemed to have a shorter facing, because the low notes were much more picky. Altissimo was maybe a little better. But, although I agree with Hurling about the AL4's greater harmonic richness, I found it generally brighter than my C* in all registers. While I preferred the resistance it gave me, I couldn't get past the harshness. I ended up sticking with my C*, but switching to the new Rico Reserve reeds in #3.5, so I got a little bit more resistance with the sound & feel I was used to.

I see you're looking at the Selmer C facing. I would say that this facing is probably too close. If you want an even match, I'd say the comparable matches would be more like AL4 vs. C** and AL3 vs. C*, as far as resistance. Good luck!

·
Registered
121 Posts
i have not played a C, but have played many C*, C**s..and the vandoren AL4. the selmer produces the run of mill, average french classical sound. if you work with it enough you can produce a pretty good sound. in comparison, the vandoren is similar, but i think the tone is clearer...and has a better "core" to the tone. the buzz isn't as thin. i think i prefer the vandoren. the AL4 facing is a shorter facing compared to a C or C*. i think that's why it has those characteristics.
if you can, try playing both side by side.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I have to agree with dpmusic. But one thing that turned me completely off from the AL series is the lack of power. Im sure it would project fine but just a lack of serious power or volume...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts