Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I'm new to this website, but I found that this is a great site with a great community of helpful saxophone enthusiasts. Anyways, I bought a Selmer C** soloist for my alto, but I just can't find any information about it on the web. It seems like not a lot of people have this mouthpiece. I'm also using a Rovner dark and 2.5 vandoren reed on my Yamaha 475. I play in my school's concert band, but I'm going to try playing in the jazz band next year. Any suggestions or information about my mouthpiece/setup is very welcomed. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
647 Posts
Three years ago I started on sax using this mouthpiece on my Jupiter 769 and learned a lot while using it. About a year ago I replaced it with a Meyer 6M because I wanted a darker sound.(see my sig)
Now I use the Selmer C** soloist on my Yani which I used for playing jazz. This mouthpiece has a reputation for being very versatile (can be used for both classical and jazz) although it's sister the Selmer C* is more popular.
If you're just starting on sax you can't go wrong with this mouthpiece.
Hope this helps.

Ben

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,034 Posts
This was a very common piece in the 60's. A little more open than the C*. I have had one since 1965.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the comments,
i've already played saxophone for around 3.5 years, should I switch to a different mouthpiece (more intermediate?) with my current setup?

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
If you are happy with the sound. Then no. Your piece will be just fine. I have been using the same Tenor Sax C** for 4 years. And I have used the same Alto C** mouthpiece for 6 years. I say keep it. If you are playing lead, you might try a Meyer Hard Rubber. They give you a whole bunch of sound

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,034 Posts
The Soloist is not a beginner's mp. It's the best Selmer made when Selmer was the best made. It should work for concert band and jazz fine.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Agree with Carbs and Saxjd. That's the reason I still use the C** on my Yani.
In the end there is really no intermediate or beginner's mouthpiece. It depends on whether you like the sound you make from it and that's a personal thing.
Anyway, your C** can compete with the best (jazz or classical) so don't worry if no one else is using the same piece.

Ben

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
When I taught college, the C** was the one I put my students on. A littl more punch than the C*. I use a D in a super session and find that to be best for me. I have used a D in various models since about 1966.

·
Registered
241 Posts
C** is a bit small opening wise for me but I have to say the soloist is a fantastic mouthpiece. Not my thing because it's too round and dark sounding - makes me sound too "classical" and I'm very much a jazz player.

however then again i have a friend who plays a soloist E and he sounds great. he has an olegature lig.

Apparently the short shank soloists (I forget the dates from when they are from ) are desirable but I tried one and got no major chemistry with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts