Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I have a Conn Alto 6M (circa 1942). It has a Selmer C** mouthpiece that, by the look of it, may well be an original! From other web sites I think it is a Soloist. I have attached some photos.

Can anyone tell me about this mouthpiece (apart from the fact that it needs a good clean!!)? It seems to have been patched at some stage as you can see.

I am pretty new to sax playing. I enjoy playing bluesy - jazz style. Is this a good mouth piece for that style for a beginner ?

A related question is about reeds. I am currently using a Royal Pico 2.5. Any recommendations ?

Thank you very much,
Murray

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Murray: Welcome to SOTW. Looks like a Soloist to me. That patch may detract from its value, but not from its playability unless the hole went through and the inside is messed up. Probably a good mouthpiece-repairer could make it look better, but that is not my area of expertise (as if anything is my area of expertise).

I've heard some good players who use C* and assorted pieces of that tip-opening. It should serve you well.

Reeds are much like mouthpieces . . . some folks like certain strengths and others don't. The only way you will learn is to buy an assortment and try 'em. Read through the site and do a search - plenty of info and opinions available. DAVE

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,406 Posts
Can you take a picture showing the shape of the chamber and throat? Based on the pictures so far, I'm guessing it's a very large round chamber on the inside. If so, then I'd call it an Airflow (pre-Soloist). There are some pre-Soloist pieces with a medium round chamber, but as best I'm aware, the horseshoe chamber didn't show up until the Soloist line.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
That looks like an AirFlow to me also, but I wasn't aware that they made any with facings bigger than C*.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
EZ said:
Can you take a picture showing the shape of the chamber and throat?
Here are some photos. Not great, I'm afraid.

The inside sides of the chamber are straight - the chamber is almost square inside, merging into the circular cylinder of the bore. The "roof" of the chamber is slightly concave in cross section.

Thank you for all your responses.

Murray

1 - 7 of 7 Posts