Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apparently Selmer has come up with an idea that has to help THEM (or US?) in replacing instruments (only Selmer or any brand instruments? ) out there with new Selmers.

I am not exactly clear on how this works and I find this very puzzling from a commercial and practical point of view.

1) Is this only about OLD Selmer instruments? Or are they thinking of ANY other brand?
2) This program MAY cut out the middleman and if that is the case, shops and distributors aren’t going to be happy about that!
3) What kind of impact is this going to have on secondhand prices of Selmers or (if this is wider than that) any other instrument if this in not only targeted to Selmers?
4) Are they going to re-insert all or most the instruments back into the market? In other words , after cutting the shops and distributors are they also going to compete with the people whom sell secondhand saxophones (Being Selmer only or any other brand)?

Has anyone had any contacts yet? I am going to try to see what they say

Follow the link here

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Mmh strange. I'm not aware of selmer trumpets and bassoons (I got one, but it's Selmer USA), so this should concerne all brands.
This only makes sense to me in a way a used car is traded in: "I can offer you 150€ for your old bassoon, if you'll sign the contract for this shiny new selmer bariton sax - 100€ if you take a tenor" :cool:

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
Selmer trumpets and trombones definitely exist, and they are fine instruments. Not that common, though, and I think they went out of production back in the 60s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,175 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Certainly, Selmer made many of all the instruments they mention AND more ( famously Chet Baker playes on a Selmer flugelhorn ) also flutes, for example.

Mind you a program like that has existed before. I can’t remember whether it was Buescher or Conn but they bought instruements by other brnads and then restamped a Serial numbner and they engraved something like “ Replaced by Buescher or Conn” ( can’t remember which)

·
Registered
304 Posts
The worst competitor of Selmer Paris is Selmer Paris - someone on SOTW way back. Makes sense when you think how big most of current, relevant pro players stick to their Mark VI's. Interesting take on the common business practice of buying out the competition..

Reactions: Reet McVouty

·
Registered
275 Posts
I wonder If there is a market for factory refurbished horns or if this is a way to get MK VI's off of the market.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,211 Posts
They'll melt down old 6's and say that the new horns are made from horns that were made from discarded German artillery shells. And Parisian tears.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I get emails and letters in the mail every month from my friendly local Nissan dealer. It seems they have an urgent need for used cars of the type I drive and they are willing to give me top dollar for it. In the case of my Nissan it's just an attempt to get me into their showroom so they can talk me into trading my car in for a new one. This sounds like the same type of sales approach.

Selmer buys your old horn and sells you a new one, using the proceeds from the sale of the old one as a down payment on a new one. They sell a new horn and then sell off the old one to a dealer who will clean it up and market it. This is what auto dealers have been doing for decades.

I have no inside knowledge but I would guess that's what they have in mind.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Interesting. Very interesting.
I don't think this will affect the marked of second hand saxes at all.
At least not if they are purchasing cheap, overhauling and selling for prices above the market price.
Or are they going to re-use the materials only?
I'm curious to know what they are thinking.
Or maybe they have a collaboration with some other dealer on the secondhand-market?
That would actually be a very good idea for all parts involved.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,628 Posts
Interesting. Very interesting.
I don't think this will affect the marked of second hand saxes at all.
At least not if they are purchasing cheap, overhauling and selling for prices above the market price.
Or are they going to re-use the materials only?
I'm curious to know what they are thinking.
Or maybe they have a collaboration with some other dealer on the secondhand-market?
That would actually be a very good idea for all parts involved.
You know darn well they're not going to be paying market pricing for your Mark VI. I wouldn't worry about it affecting the used market one bit honestly.

·
SOTW Moderator/Administrator
1,292 Posts
Nah, no dice. I was also assuming this was one of those "We'll buy that OLD Selmer of yours and sell you a NEW one" deals. I'll pass.

Reminds me of the Steve Martin movie where he tells the waiter to take away that OLD wine and bring some NEW wine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,873 Posts
I noticed that on the website today. Now that its been mentioned there may be some real value in removing certain vintage models from the market....then again one can only speculate. I guess time will tell if they start selling them.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
I seriously doubt they're going to remove them from the marketplace. I would wager they will either refurbish and resell in-house or sell the trade-ins off the a wholesaler who will refurbish them. I agree, they won't be paying market prices for your Mark VI.

As I said above, it looks like the same business plan auto dealers have been using for many years. They take a vehicle in on trade. If it's in great condition they fix it up and resell it themselves. If it's in rough condition it goes to auction and ends up on a small second or third tier used car lot somewhere.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I seriously doubt they're going to remove them from the marketplace. I would wager they will either refurbish and resell in-house or sell the trade-ins off the a wholesaler who will refurbish them. I agree, they won't be paying market prices for your Mark VI.

As I said above, it looks like the same business plan auto dealers have been using for many years. They take a vehicle in on trade. If it's in great condition they fix it up and resell it themselves. If it's in rough condition it goes to auction and ends up on a small second or third tier used car lot somewhere.

"Genuine Selmer Certified Used Horns" - works for every car company.
Marketers can ruin anything.

Revolt! Buy a CONN!

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
1,048 Posts
I get emails and letters in the mail every month from my friendly local Nissan dealer. It seems they have an urgent need for used cars of the type I drive and they are willing to give me top dollar for it. In the case of my Nissan it's just an attempt to get me into their showroom so they can talk me into trading my car in for a new one. This sounds like the same type of sales approach.

Selmer buys your old horn and sells you a new one, using the proceeds from the sale of the old one as a down payment on a new one. They sell a new horn and then sell off the old one to a dealer who will clean it up and market it. This is what auto dealers have been doing for decades.

I have no inside knowledge but I would guess that's what they have in mind.
+1.

This is the only suggestion that really seems to make economic sense. It's just a gambit to get your contact information and attention. I don't think they could really make a worthwhile business out of buying their old horns at anything remotely approaching market values and flipping them.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Has anybody filled out the form to see what happens? I'm thinking about trying it just for grins and giggles "Mint Condition MK VI Tenor" and see what they come back with :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Kicking myself for not buying one of these Nissan rebuilt 240Zs...
Apparently they restored 37 and now they are fetching over $100K at auction.

Selmer should offer a factory refurbished VI. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,099 Posts
Perhaps they are donating them to students in impoverished communities. I've seen that done with electronics buybacks but I can't remember exactly who was doing it....

1 - 20 of 88 Posts