Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have always been an alto/bari player, but often consider getting a tenor if the right deal comes along. I came across a Selmer Bundy tenor listed on the local Craigslist for $300. I've always been a little wary of Bundys, though I know there are some good ones out there. I would definitely try it out before buying it. Pictures look good, seller says it was their grandfather's who has passed and they have no use for it. Left hand bell keys, the simple engraving on the bell of BUNDY with Selmer below it (engravings - no stickers), wire guards, the case appears to be grey-ish and looks like it is vinyl or tolex covered (not just a plastic hardshell case). Serial number per the seller is (or starts with) 88356. There is a music store sticker with address inside the case, and a Google search revealed that the store has been at that location starting in 1980.

So what is this horn? When is it from? I assumed that the serial number given was not the full number, maybe the first five digits which makes me think the horn is from the early Eighties. But, I really have no idea. 00k0k_8e0dWRa5KGT_1200x900.jpg 00606_4cTmM2B3R9h_1200x900.jpg 01515_4FSVnbhQtbZ_1200x900.jpg 00d0d_6C8Rx5v9E9u_1200x900.jpg

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,746 Posts
The case, if it's original, makes me believe it would be 60's. And anyway, to me, ANY tenor that plays is worth $300...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The case, if it's original, makes me believe it would be 60's. And anyway, to me, ANY tenor that plays is worth $300...
I've been thinking the same thing about a playing tenor for $300....the case was also making me think it was an older horn, but the serial number threw me off.
Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,506 Posts
the price of Bundys is gone down the drain lately this could even be a later horn and it certainly a post ’63 ( when Selmer USA acquired the brand).

€300 is cheap but if it needs new pads you are probably going to pay €300 to €500 and that would be too much , but assuming that needs just a little work, you can’t go really wrong.

These days horns like these aren’t worth repairing with their value being low and the cost of repair being high.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,149 Posts
The Bundy brand had been around as a Selmer product long before 1963. That was when Selmer got Buescher.
That case was from the 1960s.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
That's a Buescher design with different engraving, and probably some cost reduction cheapening.

It looks to be in very very good condition. However, it may need a lot of pad and cork replacement just due to age.

Depending on what kind of saxes you've been playing you may find the keywork kind of weird. Don't think of it as bad, just different. Bueschers - to me - have the most different key layouts compared to current production horns which of course are all basically Selmer Mark 6 copies.

Because it's a buescher underneath, tone quality and intonation will probably be superb.

These aren't worth much on the open market but they can be good players.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Depending on what kind of saxes you've been playing you may find the keywork kind of weird. Don't think of it as bad, just different. Bueschers - to me - have the most different key layouts compared to current production horns which of course are all basically Selmer Mark 6 copies.
I have owned a Conn 18M alto since the mid-eighties, and a 1970s Amati stencil bari for nearly a decade. I'm perfectly comfortable with them. I have test played my teachers Cannonball alto and some other modern bari he had (maybe a Jupiter or something) and neither one was to my liking in terms of feel or ergonomics.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Just to clarify, that's a stamp, not an engraving. These horns did have an engraving earlier, of a very similar design. But the stamp makes this one of the later Bundy 1s, circa 1970. Otherwise, they're practically identical horns. This might have blued needle springs, but it might not.

These can play nicely, if a bit clunky. I had one about 10 years ago in similar condition. A lot of these were school horns, and have lived a rough life. Doesn't look like that was the case with this one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts