Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking to buy a sax as a present for my brother who is a beginner, I've seen this model somewhere for £280. Can anyone tell me if this would be a good model and a good price? I was slightly concerned that I couldn't find the serial number listed anywhere, does anyone has any information on this I.e 938xxx?
Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,992 Posts
Welcome.

You haven't specified whether it is an Alto or Tenor.

That's about $450 usd.....for a Tenor in good playing condition, it isn't a bad price. It should play up and down well and have no significant dents whatsoever, and include a good case.

For an Alto it is very overpriced. A Bundy II in good shape should only cost around $250-300usd.

Also, you cannot find serial # info by using the Selmer serial # lists; because Bundys were made at the previous Buescher facility, so they retained the Buescher serial # sequences.

This #938,XXX puts the horn in the mid-1980's.

If you are looking for an Alto in the range of $300-500usd (200-300 British pounds), contact me thru the website link below, because I have many Altos (many not listed on my site yet) which are significantly better than a Bundy II for that price (including shipping to you in UK).

...best of luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sophie999, hi. I've got a Selmer Bundy 2 tenor and I found it to be pretty hardy and not a bad player. I've heard a lot of talk about how much better a professional sax sounds but to my ear the Bundy is perfectly ok. I paid £600 some time ago so I reckon I was caugh or else the prices have fallen. It came complete with two mouthpieces, the maker's one and one called an Otto Link Supertonemaster N06. The maker's one makes the most noise but the Otto Link is supposed to be better. I think there is a lot of bunkum spoken about the quality of sound from different models by people who like to air their views and show how clever they are. But a solidly made sax is better than a poorly made one, obviously. But then I don't claim to be an expert. I've just been told by someone on cafesaxophone that the tenor is a transposing instrument whose music is written 14 semitones higher than it sounds! Can you believe that? 14 semitones!! I never knew that. Is it true, do you think?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts