Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if a Selmer Privilege low-C bass will fit in a Buffet case? I tried a Yamaha case and it wasn't even close.

I've been waiting on a warranty replacement for my stock Privilege case which fell apart after a few months for almost two years now, and there's a low-C Buffet case on eBay that looks tempting. Right now my $9000 horn is living in a hollowed-out chinese tenor case with a piece of foam rubber in it.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately, I'm not interested in a BAM case. The fittings on my stock Selmer/BAM case started falling out from day one. Everything attached to the outside of the case (strap rings and the little "feet" on the bottom) were screwed into the wood of the case with nothing on the other side to stop them from pulling out. The first foot fell off after about a month, and by the time I sent it back it only had one left. After the backpack straps fell off while I was riding my bike to a gig, I decided it was time to start looking for something else. Maybe their other cases are better made, but I'm not willing to invest the money to find out.

So if the competitor's stock cases are out, and a Wiseman is out of my budget, it looks like I've narrowed down my options to a pre-privilege stock Selmer case, unless Protec comes out with a low-C bass case.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
I remember reading your bad luck before. Selmer should have replaced that case. If that happened to my Privelege case the shop I bought it from would have definitely replaced it as soon as possible. The Privelege bass case is no different to any of the Selmer light cases . You must have had a rogue case. Bam cases are superb . I doubt if you would ever have a problem there. Several of my saxophones and my Buffet clarinet are in Bam cases..they are one of the best make of cases and I've had them a long time.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thankfully, it was finally approved for replacement a couple of months ago. The music store got tired of hearing from me and gave my email address to the Selmer rep, who has yet to make contact. I'm giving it another week before I call the store again.

If Bam cases are for the most part reliable, I'll feel less guilty about selling or trading my replacement once I get it. For me, one experience this bad is enough to turn me off the company for life. I just can't trust them. I'm also never buying another new Selmer instrument because their customer service is so awful.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
I hear you. It is very easy to be put off a company by a bad experience. My experience of buying two new Selmers in recent years was not trouble free. A Privilge bass and a Series 3 sop. They are both superb instruments but the buying experience was let down by poor quality control. In my case a scuffed bell on the soprano
and a dented neck and damaged accessories with the bass. These were new from the suppliers not damaged by the shop where I bought them. In contrast a recent purchase from Patricola of an Eb left a really favourable impression. Beautifully presented in every detail.
I hope you get your new case soon. Hopefully the replacement will be fine..mine seems ok although it doesn't get heavy use.

·
Über Geek, Forum Contributor 2010 Distinguished SO
3,841 Posts
You could try getting in touch with one of the manufacturers who does custom cases. Calzone (they make Anvil cases here in SoCal) seems to be interested in Custom case work. They're in City of Industry, CA, and would probably work with you over the internet.

Regardless of what you choose, do SOMETHING. Don't let that instrument go under-protected...

·
Registered
602 Posts
If you didn't want to use the replacement case when supplied, there is a Selmer USA low C case available. I bought a Series 9 low C from a shop in Michigan last year, and they had replaced the original case with one of those. It doesn't fit my horn at all well, but I'm guessing it would fit the new low C's. It's not great quality, just an old-style wooden-shell case with three latches.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bari_sax_diva: Interesting. I'd considered a custom case and Googled long and hard but couldn't find one. I'll look at their website and see if they've got anything I can use.

lomaserena,

That is exactly what I'm looking for! If you're willing to wait a bit (hopefully not more than a couple of months), would you trade my replacement Selmer case for it? Or, I could sell the Selmer case and buy yours.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,049 Posts
I might have a Selmer Privilege low C here today (unless a medical issue prevents it from happening) and would be able to check if it fits in a Buffet low C case (the latest model from Buffet, not an older one). Personally I wouldn't use a regular wood case with no straps, really uncomfortable IMO and especially if the clarinet is in one piece in it (unlikely for a low C model but regardless of that anyway).

You can also consider the Wiseman case. At least I really like it. If you also play soprano clarinet(s) it will fit in the same case and if you have another bag or something for accessories then even two more soprano clarinets. It's more expensive than other cases but IMO completely worth it. For a clarinet worth $9,000 I would recommend investing in a case that is the best and most comfortable (for you).

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sure, I'd be up for a trade.
bari_sax_diva: Interesting. I'd considered a custom case and Googled long and hard but couldn't find one. I'll look at their website and see if they've got anything I can use.

lomaserena,

That is exactly what I'm looking for! If you're willing to wait a bit (hopefully not more than a couple of months), would you trade my replacement Selmer case for it? Or, I could sell the Selmer case and buy yours.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've had many recommendations for the Wiseman case, but unfortunately it's way out of the budget. People assume that since I bought such an expensive horn I can afford it. I paid for the instrument using every cent I made working from when I was 16 to when I moved out of my parent's house, plus the money I got for selling my old Leblanc bass (almost twice what my dad paid for it), plus the money from selling a few saxophones and other instruments my parents bought me, plus saved excess scholarship money, plus a $2000 loan. So, it's mine, but, realistically (especially now that I'm on my own financially) I'm never going to be able to afford a $1500 accessory, at least not in the near future. I also need to have my bass repadded- although I paid full new price for it, it was actually a store demo horn, and between the time I picked it out and the time when they sent it to me, most of the pads became so sticky that they actually stay shut when I'm playing unless I powder them every time I get the horn out.

There is a local business that makes custom bags (mainly for sports and outdoor activities). I know several local musicians who've had them make custom case covers (for about half the cost of any company that specializes in them) and are very happy with them. So, a wood case with no straps is not really a problem.

lomaserena, I'll let you know when I get my replacement case. Thank you so much- I'd just about given up on looking for a stock Selmer hard case, as they've been discontinued.

·
5,049 Posts
a $1500 accessory
I didn't realize it was so expensive! When I bought mine just a few years ago it was less than $700 new at WW&BW and they happened to have at least %15 discount on most accessories that week. I think it was about $550 new in the end. It's hard to say it's worth $1,500 eventhough it would be hard to live without it now...

Having a local place make a comfortable case cover is a good idea, several local players have done that for their suitcase type cases.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks like I misremembered- they're only $1,196 at Weiner music, which in usually close to the lowest price available. WWBW doesn't seem to carry them anymore. Still... that's a lot of money for something that should have come with the instrument.

·
5,049 Posts
$1,200 is still not $550 :)

I didn't have the Privilege 67 here yet but I will have it on Wednesday and can check if the Buffet 1193 case fits, if you're still interested to know.

·
5,049 Posts
I just checked and the Selmer Privilege 67 doesn't fit at all in the Buffet 1193 case. This case is from 2004 but from what I remember current cases are pretty much identical.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dang! That's really interesting that there is so much variation in shape between professional basses. My horn didn't even come close to fitting in the Yamaha case I tried either, which is sad because I really liked the design.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts