Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never played a Balanced Action from the 30s but heard a lot of good things about them. I remember a guy coming to my home to try a Link Slant Eburnated Bar. He had a Balanced Action Tenor and sounded full and dark, yet defined on it.
This one looks like it has been buffed. On the other hand, engraving and lacquer are about 30 years older than on a 60s Mark 6. Thanks for having a look.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Selmer-Balan...092911?hash=item3abee9beaf:g:dpQAAOSwvgdW3FRW

Thanks for looking and commenting.

· Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,568 Posts
Those engravings look pretty dull. I'd say it's been buffed.

· Distinguished SOTW Member/ Forum Contributor 2011
571 Posts
So what if it's buffed, In NYC recently I went to manhattan to see a great tenor man, played in Buble' band, his old Selmer was buffed to the original brass, new concept I think it gives a better tone?? So many theories out here. Play the thing ! There's your answer.

· Premium Member
18,209 Posts
That's the tenor from Denis G.
Is he a brother of Kenny? :bluewink:

The horn looks for sure buffed, but I'm with the olhonker above that it doesn't have to be a bad thing for sound. Playing the horn is the only way to determine that. Buffed un-lacquered horns sometimes resonate more because of the less thick metal. I once played a BA of about the same vintage and compared it too my late (1953) SBA. In this case my SBA was a bit more spread and dark, but I don't think that's a general rule. Often those BA's (and early SBA's) have a sharp low B and Bb because the tone holes on the bell or too close to the bow.

Here are my (old) compare clips (posted before):

- Selmer BA (1938): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11777307
- Selmer SBA (1953): http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=11777308

· Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
Selmer Paris 6,7,SA80 & Couf S1s
3,603 Posts
+1.
But many people don't buy horns for playing. They buy them because they are for sale.
I have that problem from time to time.

Buffing is only an issue in relation to that it has had some major work done on it. And since people like "Original" the buffing is an indication that something isn't original. The more care taken in buffing though shows just overall better quality work at least in buffing, at some point in time.

You mostly have engraving that is light or disappears altogether from buffing. And in this case the main emblems are clearly buffed over too much to me. BUt that's not saying I wouldn't buy the horn. It just tells me that it's not in original condition.

· Registered
2,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buffing is definitely not a problem concerning sound or playability in most cases. On the other hand, if you have to pay a lot of money for an old Mark 6, SBA or BA you will want to be sure you will get your money back when you decide you want to or must let it go some day. The 7800 EUR which are asked for that horn are about 8700 USD.
The seller of the horn is a very gifted and promising pro in Germany who contacted me about this thread. I don't feel like spending that lot of money on a horn right now. If I did, I would drive the 20 miles to Cologne and give it a try. If you want to find out about him and his music, simply contact him via his auction.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.