Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(If I can get some work done:? ) I'm going to try a rebuilt SBA/BA tenor later today. I'm not sure which model it is because the guy at the shop wasn't sure when we talked about it. Never laid eyes on one before, so I'm looking forward to it.

I doubt very much I'll bite--but this is also the place where I got the silver Conn 26M or $900--any suggestions what to look for?

Rory

·
2,487 Posts
later digit SBAs are mean't to be better over earlier ones, and TAKE A TUNER!!!!!!
BA tenors are said to have poorer intonation, especially silver ones (whether that is just urban myth i don't know)
just play it, both BAs and SBAs are amazing horns, it's just as possible that it will be terrible as it'll be amongst the best Selmer tenors.

good luck!

·
2,766 Posts
SearjeantSax said:
later digit SBAs are mean't to be better over earlier ones, and TAKE A TUNER!!!!!!
BA tenors are said to have poorer intonation, especially silver ones (whether that is just urban myth i don't know)
just play it, both BAs and SBAs are amazing horns, it's just as possible that it will be terrible as it'll be amongst the best Selmer tenors.

good luck!

I'm happy to report that all BA and SBA saxophones are good. Sure, a few here or there can be dogs, but in general they're as good as any mk6 or Conn 10m.

I play a silver BA tenor #28,xxx.(although I had it plated) I had a #27,xxx silver alto (Great horn!) and now I have a #20,xxx BA alto in original lacquer.

If a BA or SBA plays out of tune it's because: A) The key hieghts are off, or B) YOU can't play in tune! Go home and "shed".

Good luck!

There is an awsome looking BA on EBAY right now, check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Selmer-Balanced-Action-Tenor-Saxophone-Sax_W0QQitemZ260143203273QQihZ016QQcategoryZ16234QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

·
2,487 Posts
brrysachs, is that the original engraving on the ebay horn??? it looks totally different to other BAs i've seen

·
Registered
682 Posts
rleitch said:
(If I can get some work done:? ) I'm going to try a rebuilt SBA/BA tenor later today. I'm not sure which model it is because the guy at the shop wasn't sure when we talked about it. Never laid eyes on one before, so I'm looking forward to it.

I doubt very much I'll bite--but this is also the place where I got the silver Conn 26M or $900--any suggestions what to look for?

Rory
Please report back that you bought a mint SBA or BA for under $2000 and
taunt by withholding the location of your mine.

·
2,766 Posts
SearjeantSax said:
brrysachs, is that the original engraving on the ebay horn??? it looks totally different to other BAs i've seen

My #20,xxx alto has the same engraving. Once tey got to #26,xxx or so, they went to the "cabin & lake" thing, although my old #27,xxx alto had a art deco "sunburst" pattern to it.

·
6,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pgraves said:
Please report back that you bought a mint SBA or BA for under $2000 and
taunt by withholding the location of your mine.

Hey Pgraves.

How badly would you guys kill me if I told you that it was silver, ser # 229xx, perfect condition, and I got it for $900, the same price as I paid for the
26M???

Well don't worry, cause that didn't happen:twisted:

The horn is as described--breathtaking actually--but it was $3900+tax. I had about half an hour with it before the store closed and by the end it felt like I had been playing it all my life. Fantastic ergos and a really gorgeous tone--no intonation problems whatsoever--Barry is absolutely right!

I played three MPs--my WWCo, Morgan 8L, and my modern STM--the first two were nice, but it really came to life with the STM. Overall though I found it to have a kind of smallish sound, and very sweet. Definitely not a Blues/R&B horn IMHO.

Fantastic horn, but $4400 is no bargain price and sure can buy a lot of sax!

Rory

ps. If anybody's interested, let me know. I doubt it'll go locally at that price, so they might be ready to deal down after a few months.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts