Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I have an old Selmer Balanced action (1938) and l want to buy a new case for it. I've been looking at BAM cabine cases and l believe they use a MKVI as the mould.
A couple of questions:
Will my BA fit in this case?
What cases do you fellow BA owners use?
Thanks in advance Tom

·
Registered
434 Posts
Alto or tenor? I don't have any experience with BAM cases but I keep my BA alto in a protec contoured case (bought new about 6 years ago) and it fits fine and is secure.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Hey tom
I would recommend the Walt Johnson cases. They are super durable and hold my alto (sba) extremely well. They are harder to come across now, BUT, P. Mauriat is actually making a copy case of the WJs which are a bit cheaper I think. I mean there are SO MANY different options today, but the Walts are the best IMO. +1 for Protec too

·
Registered
881 Posts
I bought a Selmer flight case for my mark VI tenor sometime back, I now use it more for my 1939 BA tenor, and it seems to work equally well although the shape of the two instruments is slightly different.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Saxlicker,
I have a Hiscox case.. its not the artist version, my sax rattles around in it. The case must be around 25 years old and the foam padding has deteriorated. I emailed Hiscox to see if they sell the insides separately as l was thinkng about swapping the insides but the do not do any kind of DIY kits unfortunatey.
I guess lm going to have to go to sax.co.uk and try a few out. Thanks for responding .. best wishes Tom
Some good suggestions here but don't forget the Hiscox....better still Hiscox Artist. Never tried a BA but MKVI's fit well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Everyone,

I went to sax.co.uk near Warren St Tube in London today.
I tried Hiscox Artise and Liteflite cases, Bam Cabine, Hightech, Softpack and Trekking cases and Protec PB305CT.

The Hiscox cases although being very sturdy allowed my BA to rattle around inside.
I found the Bam cases to be on the tight side although the Trekking case by far the best fit.

l opted for the Protec PB305CT. It is a great fit and wasn't to tight around the octave rod.

Thanks for all your replies and hope this thread will help other BA owners.

Best
Tom

·
Registered
125 Posts
Thanks for this thread tomtrundle.

I am also looking for a case for a 1939 Balanced Action (ser 28xxx). I guess I'll cross off the Hiscox from my list (a search of the thread for horns that fit a Hiscox case also did not show a result for Balanced Action).

I use the Cabine for my Ref 54 and was hoping to stick with BAM. It does seem the Cabine is a little tight around the BA's octave rod, but I also think the Cabine's foam would adjust well to the BA. Because I need the Cabine for my Ref 54 I didn't want to test this out and so compress the foam so that my 54 would no longer fit as well.

Do any others have opinions on possible BAM cases for the BA? Maybe the New Trekking (which is probably my first choice at the moment, though I might just go with another Cabine)? Or maybe a Jakob Winter?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Just a note to say that I picked up a BAM Cabine tenor case for a 1939 Balanced Action. The Cabine is just a little tighter around the bow of the Ref 54 than with the BA, and the octave rod on the BA is not a problem. I think the Cabine is fine for the BA.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts