Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two postings I'm looking at. Why does one have Seles on the bell and the other one doesn't? What are the different models for the axos? Why is there an axos GL that I see everywhere?

· Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
3,473 Posts
The Seles one is simply an older model. Selmer Paris originally sold these under a subsidiary brand. The second generation of horns are simply labeled "Axos" and marketed as a full-fledged member of the Selmer Paris line.

The GL probably just stands for "gold lacquer", though I'm not sure they are available in any other finish.

· Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
ALTO: Medusa- 82zii, TENOR: Medusa, BARI: b901, SOP: sc991
8,074 Posts
The Seles one is simply an older model. Selmer Paris originally sold these under a subsidiary brand. The second generation of horns are simply labeled "Axos"…
thanks for that information. Do you know if the body tubes are the same? The differences are just cosmetic?

· Registered
763 Posts
Production flow changed with respect to where offshore/onshore various parts were manufactured and assembled. The newer tenor was marketed as a Selmer Axos so the alto Seles brand was eliminated to match.
I'm told the body tube is basically a Serie II, and I have no information that it hasn't stayed constant. Dave Kessler in Las Vegas is most knowledgable in the US and would discuss with you if you call him.
My first alto was a Seles Axos but the discount vibe bugged me so I got a Serie II Jubilee and then a Ref 54. Stupid, the Axos was a fantastic horn with parts, fit and finish as good as any other SP. The case was a slightly simplified BAM OEM as for Serie II and III but really nice.
A new Axos will need "final assembly" set-up like every SP horn but then in my opinion the quality is as good as a YAS-62III or Yany AWO1. Resistance and ergonomics then become the selection factors at that price point in my opinion, not brand or quality.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts