Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Selmer Aristocrat AS600L Alto at a pawn shop for $260 (talked him down from $350) and took it to a tech who said it'll need $170 in work to be in playable condition. Did I pay too much? I got the horn for my cousin because he wants to learn to play and I wasn't too keen to loan him one of mine. Would this be a good sax for him to learn on? Would my money be better spent on a different sax? I've been told that for the same money ($400ish) I could pick up a Martin Indiana or a later model Buescher Aristocrat/Bundy One, either of which would be good student models, and get it into playable shape. That way, if he doesn't stick with it, I'll have a horn that I wouldn't mind adding to my arsenal, rather than trying to put it up for sale and not being able to recoup my losses.

I still have a few days to decide to return it and get my money back, so if I'd be better off lookin for another one, I can still do that. Any input is appreciated.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,497 Posts
No, you didn't pay too much. If at the end of the day your investment is $430 in the horn and the tech gets it playing up and down well....that isn't money badly spent, really.

Yes, $400 could get you an Indiana or Buescher-Bundy or a Conn Director or quite a few other horns....but really, to suggest that any of those are more appropriate for your cousin than the AS600...eh, a person would just be arguing for argument's sake. They might sound better (they will), but then some could argue other points as well.

If the investment became like $550+, THEN I think that becomes a borderline questionable purchase. But at $430-450...not bad.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jaye. I decided to return it and look for an Indiana or a Buescher/Bundy just in case he doesn't stick with it and I wind up with the sax. That way, it'd be a good backup for me. I appreciate your help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts