Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone explain briefly why the selmer reference 36 is $6500 at Sax Uk and $9429 at WWBW?

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
No, I can't, but that isn't the only huge differential between European and U.S. pricing for same models. I bought my AW01 from Matthews Musiek in The Netherlands for something like $1200 less than what US discounters were charging. Similar differences exist for many brands and models. DAVE

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,816 Posts

·
824 Posts
It could be that the lesser priced instruments were received before a price increase (or increases). In accounting terms it's called "FIFO": first in first out.

Also the US distributer may charge more, based on what they think the US market will bear, especially since there is no VAT to push the prices up in the US.

·
38,816 Posts
No, very few shops have actually a number of “ in house instruments” of this kind, let alone having them for a very long time.

I can confirm that prices are always widely spread and that some shops just charge a lot less. Part of the difference is the taxes, There are no import or VAT on items sold out of the EU . Anyone in the US can buy directly in Europe, and people (as shown above) do. I don’t know what the impact of the new import tariffs is. They seem to affect the retailers but perhaps private buyers are not yet hit by taxes.

·
824 Posts
Actually, a few years ago I bought a new Series II Bari from WWBW for several thousand dollars less than other sellers.
It appears to me that they must have been selling off old stock, as
after my purchase the WWBW price increased to a level similar to other merchants.

·
38,816 Posts
It is extremely rare for any shop to put hundreds of thousads $€£ into buying stock that may stay unsold for years. They generally only do this in case they have been offered an great discount. Shops don’t buy Selmers from the head office but from the distributors. THEY may stock (and occasionally discount).

Dutch shops all buy from the same source and they are the official Selmer importer BIN, they are not given any special price (certainly NOT from Selmer!)

·
Registered
697 Posts
Can someone explain briefly why the selmer reference 36 is $6500 at Sax Uk and $9429 at WWBW?

Thanks
probably because the uk was still part of eu when the horns were imported and there were no import fees. sax alley has them listed almost 1k less than wwbw. also, be aware that many states are closing loopholes related to buying mail order - i know colorado now requires that you declare, on your taxes, anything purchased without paying tax and then charges appropriately.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,937 Posts
Can someone explain why anyone would spend $9000+ on a new tenor?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Can someone explain why anyone would spend $9000+ on a new tenor?
This has always been my problem with the reference series. Like, if you want something that sounds like a BA or Mark VI and you have $9-10K burning a hole in your pocket, just get the real thing!

·
38,816 Posts
Can someone explain why would anyone spend more than $20,000 (or more) on a flute? Let’s not even go into bassoons or violins or anything like that!

Saxophones are relatively cheap instruments.

The other day I spoke to a player who was selling “ the sax that I will never sell” (his words) a King Zephyr alto. I asked why he was selling it, he told me that the community band provided the entire band of new Selmers and that in this way their “ classical” sound would be way more homogenous .

There are lots of people who buy new instruments, not as many as long ago (when your instruments were bought new), but even now, despite the enormous “ pool” of used instruments, people do that, especially in the “ non jazz” type of music.

·
Registered
392 Posts
What law says that a manufacturer, dealer, or distributor needs to sell a product for the exact same price regardless of what country they are selling it into? Selmers are $9,500 here in the US because Americans have an enfatuation with Selmers and are willing to spend the big bucks. In Europe, Selmer is the local brand so people don’t have the willingness to spend as much. We all know it doesn’t cost anything close to $6,000 or $9,000 to manufacture a Sax.

Seems like it would make sense to purchase the Selmer in Europe and have it shipped over. A US $2,500 difference isn’t because of trade duties and all that rigamarole....It is just good capitalism.

Arbitrage, I think is the right term. There is an opportunity here if you want a brand new Selmer Sax and you live in the US.

·
38,816 Posts
Internet puts at a click distance any price difference the only things that prevent anyone buying from abroad are taxes and shipping costs.

THAT is the law that rules the market.

·
824 Posts
It is extremely rare for any shop to put hundreds of thousads $€£ into buying stock that may stay unsold for years. They generally only do this in case they have been offered an great discount. Shops don’t buy Selmers from the head office but from the distributors. THEY may stock (and occasionally discount).

Dutch shops all buy from the same source and they are the official Selmer importer BIN, they are not given any special price (certainly NOT from Selmer!)
I seem to remember WWBW selling a substantially discounted Keilwerth Bass a few years ago. It may be that they agreed to take the horn from the distributor at a reduced price and offer it for a quick sale. About 2 years ago Quinn was selling high end Yanis at greatly discounted prices, he probably picked these up cheaply as they were the last of the 9** series.

·
4,579 Posts
I'm kind of surprised that these prices aren't set regionally, meaning, if a new Selmer is $7k in the EU that they can only sell/ship to EU customers (etc). Otherwise, what's the point in even having different regional pricing if anyone from anywhere can just buy them online and have them shipped?

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wonder if it is a pain for US based customers to buy from Sax UK. I mean the shipping and what not....

On the subject of new horns- It has been my experience that they play better- ie CRISPER. I have played many old Selmers fresh off a rehaul and they don't have the same new crisp feel. Although I believe the old horns sound the best - or simply the ones that sound most like the records- The new 'feel' is something I'm looking for in my next horn.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,892 Posts
I wonder if it is a pain for US based customers to buy from Sax UK. I mean the shipping and what not....
I can't see the import itself being a pain , maybe some customs duty on $6500 ? The main pain with importing is when you need to send the item back (attempt to reclaim duty )

On the subject of new horns- It has been my experience that they play better- ie CRISPER.
If you are talking about a Ref 36, crisp is the last word I'd use.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts