Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just inherited this old selmer alto. Unfortunately I don't play sax myself (I've played flute for ten years), but I have i great desire to do so. It looks old, but the pads seem OK (my uncle was a professional musician). As a beginner I think this will be an overkill, so I plan to sell it and buy a new Yanagisawa a901 or a911 and find a good teacher. How much would you think this horn will bring in? Should I sell it private or bring it to a shop to make a trade.

There's two identical heads in the case, and a lot of different mouthpieces (Otto Link, Berg etc.)

thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
Don't sell it - you'll regret it later, especially as it's been in the family.

Basically it's worth a LOT of money - even one of the necks (heads) could be worth up $1,000 on it's own. The vintage mouthpieces could also be worth a lot. If you put up some more detailed pictures and list all the m/p's, folk here will give you a good idea of what it's all worth.
Whatever you do, DO NOT bring it to a shop for a trade. Sad to say but you'll almost certainly get ripped off.

I'll repeat - DON'T sell it!! Not at least until you've a very good idea of what you have there - which you soon will, no doubt, as a result of this thread. Then I recommend thinking hard about it whilst taking cold baths every night for a month. No, you've got THE alto sax that many people dream of AND a spare neck with what looks like the original case and a bunch of vintage mouthpieces!! Just don't don't tell anybody where you live!

Enjoy it!

·
Registered
881 Posts
This could be a real gem of a horn. This particular vintage would be quite attractive. Still selling price would probably depend on how well set-up and playable the horn is. The quality of Mark VI horns is said to vary a bit, but since it was played by a professional, it is probably a good playing horn. I have a mk6 alto that is just 2 years younger than yours (1958), and it is a wonderful horn. So, as Mike F said, if it was mine, I wouldn't sell it... :) If you decide to sell it anyway, would you mind shipping it to Norway? :)
Beste hilsen
Bjørn

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We didn't actually know the man, and had never been to his home. He must have been a collector, because the house was full of instruments, mostly saxes. We got a shiny Soprano superaction 80II and this alto, a vintage armstrong flute, a clarinet, and a banjo :). There was silver selmer tenor with a five digit sn# too, but I thought it was too big, so we choose the alto. Now I know better :)
When I've sorted the mouthpieces, I'll post some pictures. I can see we by mistake took some intended for tenor, as they are too big for the alto. God knows what were left for the garbage man.
My uncle had been sick for about a year, so it is my guess that the sax needs an inspection at a shop. From the recordings we heard, it seems that the tenor and soprano was his main instruments.
I live in Denmark.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Cont
1,211 Posts
"God knows what was left for the garbage man" that alone is enough to make us all sick.

·
Registered
14 Posts
"God knows what were left for the garbage man." God knows what your uncle is going to do to all of when you go to Heaven!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Don't ever, ever, think of selling this wonderful instrument. Enjoy learning to play it!!!!!!!!!!
I have a 1937 Selmer BA alto and a 1964 mkV1 tenor which will be buried with me :wink:

John.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry! A conservative estimate anyone? I (still) consider the flute & guitar as my main instruments, but playing jazz on the flute always seemed a little lame to me. I like the sax, but I don't wan't to spend my time tweaking an old instrument, when I'm just planing to play for fun. Here's a close up img. of the pads.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/MKVII fanatic/Forum Cont
1,211 Posts
$5000 probably just on the horn alone & you have two necks, one neck should have the serial number to match that of the horn, it goes with the horn. the other neck is worth $800-$1000 maybe and the mouthpieces depending on what they are individually may bring several hundred bucks each or more......and this "IS" a conservative estimate. don't get in a big hurry, find out what ea of those mouthpieces are & what they are worth. price some closed auction VI alto necks. don't go to some music store & take what they offer you or you'll get robbed. the horn may not need much work, just minor adjustment & a few leaks fixed. like I said....don't get in a hurry to sell.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
true. No serials on the necks. One of the necks match the color of the body 100%. The other has a lighter golden color.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I can at least make out the Selmer, 2 Otto Links and the Berg Larsen. What I say is keep the sax and necks. ?Try the mouthpieces and see which you like and sell the rest of the them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you are not interested in this saxophone, then maybe someone in your family would be interested in it. I have to agree with everyone else in this thread; don't sell it. What you have there most likely lives up to the reputation of the Mark VI and it would be a shame to let it go. If you do sell it, don't let it go cheap. Check out what people are asking for instruments like yours on eBay. I think you will find they go from $5,000 to $15,000. You may find some going for more than that.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Looking at the mouthpieces, looks like he has a NY STM--I thought NY STMs were only for tenor because I could never find them for alto.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Svenne,
Can you tell us what "God knows what was let for the garbage man means?" I just read this thread and I'm stunned. Please tell me your family didn't dispose of the Tenor in Silver Plate? The Alto alone is worth a LOT of money, and as mentioned above, if it was owned by a pro, it's probably a great horn. Who knows what the MPC's would go for?! Please let us know...if it went to a junk dealer or someplace similar you may be able to get it back. If you can...DO IT! Mustang

1 - 17 of 17 Posts