Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
36,416 Posts
Just like hairspray! As many old ladies painfully realized when they applied it while lighting a cigarette at the same time
Hairspray used to be the preferred fuel for spud guns/cannons.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
a friend of mine is coming from the Netherlands and is bringing a 1991 selmer action 2 black tenor to sell, the black lacquer is perfect. he's asking around $3700 with shipping but without the original selmer case. I currently have a Gerald Albright cannonball signature. would I be making a good purchase?

·
36,416 Posts
a friend of mine is coming from the Netherlands and is bringing a 1991 selmer action 2 black tenor to sell, the black lacquer is perfect. he's asking around $3700 with shipping but without the original selmer case. I currently have a Gerald Albright cannonball signature. would I be making a good purchase?
Would you like it? If you play it and don’t like it, then not such a great purchase.

As to value, that’ll depend on your locale.

Reactions: Reet McVouty

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
42,814 Posts
they aren’t easy to find, if you “ need” one , as said before they are very difficult to sell in the Netherlands (where few people purchase saxophones in colors ) so he may have got it for a good price. A SA 80 II tenor can be bought is any other color for €2500 so you will be paying quite a premium for the lacquer but then again, if that’s what you want, there aren’t too many around.

·
480 Posts
Not sure about coloured lacquer, but over the years I've had mK6, SBA, and older silver plated tenors and altos. To a man they have all been dark (dead?). Make what you will of that.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Silver plate is a very different treatment compared to lacquer. The lacquer color is just a pigment, shouldn’t make much difference acoustically.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts