Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Selmer A - has anyone seen or heard of such a thing? I got this in the 70s, and it was very old then. The material is brown, and has a burnt taste, so I don't think it's a player - odd though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,088 Posts
well, the fact that the ebonite has become brown is due to oxidation due to the combined action of heat and light (washing it with hot water cases this effect almost immediately) and consequently releasing sulfur (which is probably what you describe as burnt taste).

It must reek pretty badly.

Anyway there things can be sort of cured removing some material and impregnating with oil but this is easily done on the outside and not quite so easily inside the piece.

Being an A this would be an extremely closed mouthpiece and most people would find impossible to play if not with very hard reeds which is pretty much consistent with very old pieces.

Unless a very rare model (you don’t mention it saying soloist on the table so we should assume it is a scroll shank) this would have to be for a collector or someone whom would have it worked on but the first wouldn’t like the fact that it is brown and smells and the second would be put off from the cost and difficulty to have this thing worked on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,080 Posts
Restoring the black is very easy. Just use any kind of cooking oil - PAM 'original' spray is convenient and works great. You can polish it using the oil and #0000 steel wool but avoid the table and facing. If for some reason you decided to throw some money at it, you could have a re-facer open it up.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,420 Posts
You can try even a cloth and olive oil or better, mineral oil
Rub it dow vigorously. Then coat it in and out and let it sit a while
Then wipe it out

It may not get rid of all the taste but it will help seal it so its not so strong.

If it doesnt work you have not altered the oiece...the oil will come off with cool water and soap

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,088 Posts
oil work of course for the outside, the inside of a really badly smelly piece would still smell and taste badly

1 - 6 of 6 Posts