Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first SOTW post. I have found this site after a failed attempt for sometime to find a bass clarinet neck.

I'm primarily a sax player and recently got a Selmer Privilege Model 67 bass clarinet. I really like everything about it except for the angle of the neck. I find that I can get a nicer sound and its easier for me to play if I either tilt my head or stay seated with the clarinet and push it outward to make it like the angle of a sax mouthpiece. I have spent some time looking through Selmer's website and it looks like they don't even have any bass clarinet necks in their catalog.

Is there anyone that knows where I might be able to find a straighter neck that would fit my clarinet? I would be interested in trading someone or just buying one if anyone on the forum has one. The neck I have is in perfect condition.

Because the neck is 2 pieces, it seems like if it were sold separately I could replace just the part of the neck that the mouthpiece goes into. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thank you,

Danny

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,983 Posts
AFAIK you can still get the less angled neck from Selmer. A friend of mine bought a new Privilege not that long ago chose it at the Selmer factory and he chose to get it with the less angled neck. Try contacting a Selmer Paris dealer, actually try a couple of dozens dealers and see which is helpful. When I got a second Buffet bass clarinet neck I tried a few dealers until one was very helpful.

·
Distinguished SOTW Tech/Forum Contributor 2007
983 Posts
gloger makes bass clarinet necks, they are expensive but i think that the replacement necks from selmer are also quite expensive ( a while ago someone had one on ebay and quotes a list price form selmer of 1300), you could likely talk to him.

i think the overall angle is different on both pieces.... not just one of them.

you might try kessler music, they are a selmer dealer and i have always found them very responsive when i have made inquiries to them.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
1,184 Posts
Get out your checkbook if you try to buy a new one from Selmer. You might consider getting a second job to pay for it.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
When I bought my Selmer bass ( Privilege) I got both necks. The straighter one was a special order. I actually prefer the more uptilted neck now. It is really comfortable to play standing or sitting and the balance is superb.. I got my bass back today after a tune up and it really is an outstanding instrument.

·
Registered
427 Posts
The lower part isn't interchangeable with older necks- you need to replace the whole thing. I think the straighter Privilege neck, which I've only seen in pictures, replaces just the lower part, as the whole neck seems to have a different shape then the older style Selmer necks.

Also, every older Selmer neck I've tried (from Series 9 to Model 33) fits and tunes well on my Privilege, although with some the register linkage doesn't line up. I traded my stock neck for one from a 33 and it is a perfect match.

·
4,983 Posts
The lower part isn't interchangeable with older necks- you need to replace the whole thing.
I'm not sure what you mean by "the lower part", the mouthpiece socket part or the register key part? Do you mean the tunable tenon sleeve of the Privilege doesn't fit (obviously on either side) with older necks? Then you say:

I think the straighter Privilege neck, which I've only seen in pictures, replaces just the lower part
So if only one part of the neck is different, it should be possible replace just that part.
But, I've seen both necks and as far as I can remember, both parts of the neck are different from older versions i.e. both parts have more curve to them. However, from what I remember, the straighter Privilege neck is probably identical to the former (35/37) model necks and you are right that some older Selmer necks should fit. I know one player who uses their former 37 model neck on their new Privilege.

Re the high price of the neck, yes, but not in comparison with the entire instrument.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Sorry. The lower part is the slide (one piece). The upper part is the part with the cork, register key, etc. The lower part to the old and new necks are interchangable in the sense that they will fit and tune well. However, if you swap them, the mouthpiece angle is really weird.

So, the straight Privilege neck uses the same upper portion as the stock Privilege neck, but has a specially designed lower part (different from the old-style lower part) that has a different angle to it from the old-style lower part. This puts the mouthpiece at the same angle as the old-style neck.

Does that make sense?

·
4,983 Posts
So, the straight Privilege neck uses the same upper portion as the stock Privilege neck, but has a specially designed lower part (different from the old-style lower part) that has a different angle to it from the old-style lower part. This puts the mouthpiece at the same angle as the old-style neck.

Does that make sense?
The sentence makes sense but it is not correct. Both parts of the more curved Pirivilege neck are more curved than the less angled older or replacement Privilege neck. At least the several of each and the many older ones that I have seen.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Charles Bay made and may still make an "improved angle" Bass Clarinet neck. You may be able to find a used on one Ebay.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Ah. Well, I was going off one picture that I'd seen, as I stated earlier.

So, does that mean that the standard old-style Selmer neck, the high angle Privilege neck, and the low angle Selmer neck are three completely different beasts, or that the low angle Privilege neck is the same/similar as the old style neck?

·
4,983 Posts
AFAIK the less angled Privilege neck is the same as the neck of the previous 37 model but I'm not sure. I occasionally see them but almost never side by side so it's hard to say for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts