Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
Whats the difference between the 5 and the 6 digits in terms of sound?
It is possible to have a brilliant sound in a 5 digit? I just bought a peeling 5 digit and i like it very much.
thanks
jose

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,320 Posts
The difference is not related to number but build. I think too much emphasis is placed on number. A good Selmer is a good Selmer and a bad one is a bad one. If you like it then buy it and play it......I have played Mark Vi's that were dogs.......each horn is unique in its own right.....treat them like that and you'll be ok.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
You got one you like there is no need to look further.

I had a 77k VI and never got anything special out of it. A friend of mine has two six digit VIs one is 111k and the other is much later. He likes the later one much more and he 'loaned' me his 111k in hopes that I will make him an offer...I think he wants my Yanagisawa. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for you answers,but i want to know if there is an outstanding difference that makes me change my 5 for a 6 digit to obtain more brilliant sound. I never played a 6 digit. This 5 digit horn was my first mark VI.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Jose,
The quick answer to your question is this: Yes, it's quite possible, even likely that you can find a brighter playing 6 digit Mark VI. It's quite possible you can find a brighter 5 digit VI. It's quite possible a Yamaha is going to play brighter. Does it matter? No. Why? Because a true artist neither blames nor credits his tools.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I read through some other threads on this, and the feeling I get (including my own experience) is that the horn is a smaller contributor to your sound. The reed/mpc setup will be more, and your chops the most.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Some players prefer a 5 digit mark VI. 5 digits are easier to sell and are slightly older. It is often said that the 5 digits have a slightly better sound. You should try out a 6 digit to see if you prefer it to your 5 digit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts