Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello.I've got a Phil-Tone Tribute mouthpiece for my tenor saxophone which came with a Theo Wanne Enlightened Ligature.I like this ligature but I just hate the fact that it moves around whenever I try to adjust the reed.Everyone keeps saying that the Selmer 404 really does change things on Otto Link STM-like mouthpieces.The problem is,from what I gathered, that they don't manufacture them anymore.Can you please tell me of dealers in Europe that have these ligatures up for sale ? I had no luck on Google.I really want to try one to see what it's all about.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
They don't make those anymore? News to me. I just bought one a few months ago.

FWIW the Rico H ligature works pretty well on a Tribute, as does the cheapo $15 two-screw ligs that Rico makes.

·
Registered
1,914 Posts
I just had one delivered less than an hour ago ( ordered it from Sax Alley ). I heard people like them on Dukoffs and link STMs....but it doesn't fit the taper of the Dukoff and seems to be a little too tight a fit on the STM. Looks beautiful on the Link I gotta say, but it seems like it's just a wee bit tight & the screws don't go very far into the threads. It would be usable, but since I don't have any real complaints about the stock Link ligature I think I'll set the 404 aside for now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

FWIW the Rico H ligature works pretty well on a Tribute, as does the cheapo $15 two-screw ligs that Rico makes.
It's just that I couldn't find them on Thomann and Sax.Co.Uk so I assumed they don't make them anymore.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I just had one delivered less than an hour ago ( ordered it from Sax Alley ). I heard people like them on Dukoffs and link STMs....but it doesn't fit the taper of the Dukoff and seems to be a little too tight a fit on the STM. Looks beautiful on the Link I gotta say, but it seems like it's just a wee bit tight & the screws don't go very far into the threads. It would be usable, but since I don't have any real complaints about the stock Link ligature I think I'll set the 404 aside for now.
You have to shape/stretch it to fit an STM.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Easy to modify the 404 lig for a STM piece.
Once you have it mounted correctly with the reed in place simply hold a straight edge (metal or strong plastic) against the the ligature along one side of the ridge on the top of the mouthpiece. Tap the straight edge lightly with a hammer and the lig will bend to conform to the ridge, repeat on the other side.
The lig will stretch to fit the shape of the piece and will now locate in the same location on each install.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts

I tried a 404 on my Tribute, but I too like the Rico nickel plated inverted lig on this mouthpiece. Get the one made for metal tenor mouthpieces, it fits perfectly. And being nickel plated, matches the esthetic of the piece :)

I had the same issues as the OP with the Enlightened Ligature. Fussy to put on, and not stable. Just the opposite of what is wanted in a ligature...

BTW, Weiner Music carries the 404 ligature, as well as the equivalent for alto (402?).

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Easy to modify the 404 lig for a STM piece.
Once you have it mounted correctly with the reed in place simply hold a straight edge (metal or strong plastic) against the the ligature along one side of the ridge on the top of the mouthpiece. Tap the straight edge lightly with a hammer and the lig will bend to conform to the ridge, repeat on the other side.
The lig will stretch to fit the shape of the piece and will now locate in the same location on each install.
So you're saying that we should tap the ligature with a hammer, while it's on the mouthpiece? If I tried that I'm pretty sure I would ruin the ligature AND the mouthpiece. Probably smash my finger too.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,589 Posts
So you're saying that we should tap the ligature with a hammer, while it's on the mouthpiece? If I tried that I'm pretty sure I would ruin the ligature AND the mouthpiece. Probably smash my finger too.
I put the ligature on and used a reed to press in the ring to mold it to shape of the ridge. It’s soft metal, very easy. It’s now round again and I keep it in my box of extra things because it fits the piece I use.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So,I got the Selmer 404 ligature two days ago and I have to say it's pretty interesting.Compared to my Theo Wanne Enlightened ligature,I feel like it's making me sound brighter,it gives me better response across the range of the horn,but it also feels that it sometimes takes away from the complexity and "richness" of the sound.I'm going to keep playing it and see where it takes me.Thank you all very much for the answers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I cannot remember now how I shaped mine to fit.

I think I wrapped it in a cloth and squeezed it gently with a slotted wrench/ channel lock.

It was no probs, anyway. That much I do remember.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts