Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I asked which ligature I should use to replace the crappy one that came with my Super King (for Tenor). A lot of people responded that the Selmer 402 (Alto) worked great. I got it, but it is too small!! Am I crazy? Or is it the wrong one? Whats up??

http://www.rpi.edu/~doriad/reed.JPG
http://www.rpi.edu/~doriad/reed2.JPG
http://www.rpi.edu/~doriad/reed3.JPG
http://www.rpi.edu/~doriad/reed4.JPG

Also, the bottom of the piece looks like it has been held up to a torch. Is this standard (from the laser cut mabye?) or is this one messed up?
http://www.rpi.edu/~doriad/burn.JPG

Thanks guys!!

David

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,566 Posts
I am not familiar with your particular mouthpiece so I cannot really comment on the ligature choice ....but....

As a general word of avise from an old photographer......make sure you learn to use the " macro" function (generally indicated with a little tulip in the function ikons of your camera or telephone):twisted: :) ;) that is the only way to take pictures of small objects from close by.....just a hint....!

The pictures are badly out of focus so they tell me amost nothing , but what is visible is puzzling, why are you putting the thickest part of the reed so far to the front....perhaps because you are showing us that cannot fit at the back.....:? . This ligature is silver plated so what you see is just tarnish....clean it, it will be beautiful and shiny.

I have been using this ligature both on a tenor and alto mouthpiece (Selmer metal Jazz) it was a perfect fit, they are by no means " small" metal mouthpieces but then again your king migt be huge.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Selmer 402 and Guardala

I use the Selmer 402 on my Guardala King and Crescent and it works fine once you break it in. First of all, I would put the ligature closer to the top of the mouthpiece instead of down so far on the shank. I've found that works best with Guardalas and they seal the best that way. You might have to do a little bending of the lig too. The best way to let it set in and stretch once you have it in place is to clamp it down really tight on a junk read for a few hours. Hope that helps.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
2,892 Posts
I've used a lot of Guardalas, (both Lazer-trimmed and Hand-made), and I've used the 402 on all of them, so it's weird that it doesn't fit. Have you tried loosening the screws on the lig completely? That is a tenor reed you're using, (hard to tell from the pics), right?............daryl

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Haha sorry for the bad photos. Yes, it is a tenor reed. Also, yes, the screws are loosened all the way. The mouthpiece is hardly fatter down where i had the ligature in the picture, but even a bit higher the reed doesn't even come close to fitting.

Also, it was the mouthpiece that was "tarnished", not the ligature.

However, a good point was brought up. It looks like there is quite a bit of wasted "length" of the ligature because it is round and the mouthpiece is a weird almost oval shape... is it really standard practice to have to bend it? I dont want to try without guidance because if it still doesn't fit then i cant return it!!

Let me know :)

David

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
It fits, but you gotta put it on and mold it around the mpc. I caught hell molding my 402 around a Guardala Studio. I have since given up the Guardala in favor of a Mojo Millennium Link with a baffle added.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
is it going to be SUPER tight even once it is bent properly? That was the whole reason I got rid of the lig. that came with the mouthpiece... I had to fight for several minutes to get a reed on at all!

·
4,881 Posts
Once it's molded properly to the mpc, you'll be fine and it'll be as easy to use as any 2-screw lig.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
hgiles said:
Once it's molded properly to the mpc, you'll be fine and it'll be as easy to use as any 2-screw lig.
Ditto..............
Trust the advice in this thread, that lig (so long as its not a rogue) will fit just fine.

But as for the blue marks on the mouthpiece...thats a new one on me.

·
39,566 Posts
you can see from the pictures that you don't open the ligature well on the right side where the screws are it is not completely open in any case it is very tight and I don't know if it allows for the reed to be well placed

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
sorry , guess i forgot to loosen them before the picture (they were tight trying to make it conform to the shape).

HOWEVER!!! I "conformed" it WITH a reed on (dont know what inclined me to try all this time without??) and it fits wooooo!!!

Thanks for being patient with me :)

·
39,566 Posts
well, I am happy that you have solved the problem|! :D

·
4,881 Posts
milandro said:
well, I am happy that you have solved the problem|! :D
Me too!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts