Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i just got the BRAND NEW Selmer 1430LP, and i paired it UP with the VANDOREN BD5 and Vandoren Optimum Lig (LC04P), i am a Sax player and want to give BASS CLARINET a go, from watching Michael Lowensterns video on this horn it is supposed to be the B AND C, but the B AND C are EXCELLENT and it is the D that sounds like poo.....Stuffy and low volume, once i go down to the C all is good. any ideas? I have tried cane as well as Legere' Sig series on it. May send it back and give the Yamaha YCL221 a try. Been calling local places to see if they have any in stock to try and compare against this SELMER. I know some say the yamaha's play sharp, i can deal with that better than with a stuffy note. Let me know your take on it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
How's the D's pitch? It could be the C key is set too low and muffling the D. New instruments need to be adjusted. Some makers don't do a good job of setting up new instruments, and if your bass was bought online, it could've been thrown out of adjustment in shipping. In spite of their size (actually, partially because of it) basses are notorious for requiring regular adjustment, MUCH more than a sax.Don't give up on the Selmer just yet.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
I agree with lomaserena. You are talking about the two finger and thumb low D, right? My guess is the C key height is too low.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How's the D's pitch? It could be the C key is set too low and muffling the D. New instruments need to be adjusted. Some makers don't do a good job of setting up new instruments, and if your bass was bought online, it could've been thrown out of adjustment in shipping. In spite of their size (actually, partially because of it) basses are notorious for requiring regular adjustment, MUCH more than a sax.Don't give up on the Selmer just yet.
Yes that is EXACTLY what it sounds like, as if it is MUFFLED. I will look and see if i can free it up, i am pretty handy and do have those small glasses screw drivers, i do LOVE every other note but that D.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with lomaserena. You are talking about the two finger and thumb low D, right? My guess is the C key height is too low.
Yeah, you guys are the BEST....I Truly don't want to give up yet....i have 45 days to return it...lololol.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,236 Posts
Gonna third that suggestion. I think a lot of people write off that Selmer/Bundy because they played one that wasn't set up well. Might be worth taking it to a good tech who can give it a once-over. The bass clarinet is more sensitive to leaks than saxophones, in my experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts