Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I, unfortunately, don't get to use this beautiful saxophone as much as I did back in college, and I can't justify owning it anymore. I figured it's time to let someone who plays more often than I do enjoy this beauty! I also have 2 Jodi Jazz mouth pieces I may be looking to part ways with.

Any tips for where/how to go about selling a higher-end sax like this? I got a quote from an online reseller, but in my opinion, it was drastically below what it was worth. I don't mind taking some time to sell it personally, but I don't want to be wasting my time either.

Thanks,
Curtis

·
Registered
5,304 Posts
Of course the dealer didn't offer you what the horn is worth. If he pays you what it's worth, and then resells it for what it's worth (because his customers won't pay more than that), he won't make a profit. Dealers are for quick sales, not for maximizing your ROI.

Consignment is an option for a nice-looking horn. Here are my suggestions for making it work: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?237831-Consignment-sale-tips.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
After watching so many of the shows on History Channel where people dicker price for things I think at most a dealer will offer you about half what he figures it's worth. A lot depends on how long he figures he's going to hold it before it sells. As long as it's on his shelf he's got money tied up in it. That's money he could be using for other things. Plus he's going to build in a safety factor for himself.

Consignment at a local shop may be a way to go. There's also ebay and the for sale portion of this site.

My advice is polish it up as clean as you can make it. Take dozens of pictures from every angle, the kind you would like if you were considering buying something online. If you have a good DSLR camera use it with good professional lighting. Rent some good studio lights or go to a store with a setup you can rent. Or get a friend with photography skills to shoot it for you. Nothing sells like great pictures. I know that sounds like a lot of work but I've sold things on ebay and I've dressed up houses and cars for sale. Make it look as good as you can. The investment in time and money for the photography will come back to you with interest.

Oh, and don't shoot your pictures while naked. Somebody did that here once and you could see his reflection in the instrument. Hilarious.:bluewink:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,320 Posts
Oh, and don't shoot your pictures while naked. Somebody did that here once and you could see his reflection in the instrument. Hilarious.:bluewink:
This advice should be put in a sticky post somewhere! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts