Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks.

Sadly desperate times call for desperate measures and I am looking to sell my Selmer Super Action 80 Series 2 Alto 600xxx. It is in mint condition. Lacquered, engraved but not the original case

I was wondering if anyone had recently sold in or around NYC and what the going price for the horn is. I am not going to sell if I am getting back a poor return for what is a fantastic sax.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes exactly. Mint condition. No scratches, No lacquer wear. Plays perfectly.

If I was to take it to one of the woodwind shops in NYC would I look at getting around $3000 from them? What mark up do they take do you know?

·
Registered
873 Posts
Pretty sure it's close to 25%. I was thinking less than $3000 myself for a private sale but a music store could sell it for that.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Yes exactly. Mint condition. No scratches, No lacquer wear. Plays perfectly.

If I was to take it to one of the woodwind shops in NYC would I look at getting around $3000 from them? What mark up do they take do you know?
Don't do that. They have to mark it up to make a profit. You would be lucky to get $1800.00 from a retail shop. You can offer it here or on eBay. $3000.00 or Best Offer.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,858 Posts
sell the horn yourself , a shop is going to offer you a lot less than what you can make if you put some work into it. Some shops take horns in consignment but they are not actually buying it from you they will only act as a go between

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Appreciate it.

I will post it on here and on ebay then. Will get the pictures as soon as I can.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I recently bought a 103,xxx Mark Vi tenor in NYC and paid a hefty price, though considerably less than the going prices at major vintage horn dealers such as Roberto's.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Yes very true, most shops especially in Nyc will ask for a higher price and then after the horn sells, charge a percentage for helping with the sale. It would be much better to sell the horn yourself. Good luck. Ok.

sent from Mikey's Super Inspire 4G

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
If you don't want to sell it yourself and must turn it over to a music store, try to put it on consignment. Agree to a price that you will accept when the store sells it. Allow three months for the store to sell it. If it can't move it in three months, sell it yourself locally. A lot of jewelry stores work on this basis for high-end jewelry, and it's probable that a reputable musical instrument retailer will do the same. The advantage is that they don't have to shell out the cash to buy it from you, and you agree upon a price that is fair and agreeable to both of you. After three months, go back and check to see if it's still in the store.

The downside: the store may sell it but not remit payment to you until it is convenient for them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts